Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sunglasses
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Alright guys, who makes the best polarized fishing sunglasses?

Post subject: Re: sunglasses
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Depends on what you concider good. Yes the costas are nice but the price is up there.

Middle of the road, I like suncloud or even Eddie Bauer store sells a set with their own name for the $60 range.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

http://thehobielife.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... rt-ii.html

Check out my blog I'm doing a give away right now for a pair of Dizm Eyewear Polarized glasses.

I love my dizm's but I like costas also and have the fantail 580 blue mirror lens, more expensive but lifetime warranty.

http://www.thehobielife.blogspot.com

AFTCO, Kanan Lures, Astral Buoyancy and Alltackle.com Pro Staff
2012 Yellow Pro Angler 12 and 2014 Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Have you tried the ones from Hobie? You won't be disappointed. Just remember to consider the color of the water you will be fishing and match the lens appropriately.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Are they only focusing on making Fishing sunglasses, but for sure this also works with any sports.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

No debate.

Costa Del Mar

Best fishing sunglasses in the world and they are made her in the USA (Florida)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i am a kayak fishing guide based in Winthrop,ma.(Boston) we fish in the salt for stripers, bluefish and flounder. i use maui jim's peahi glasses. they fit well, have polarized glass lenses and a non slip matte finish.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Costas hands down are the best for a variety of reasons.

First the quality of their frames but most important the quality of the lens.
With each style of glasses you have the option to select the type of lens you want. Glass or plastic. All Costas lens are of the highest quality. I have 580G Green Mirror. These lens are SO clear you won't believe it. I chose Green over the Blue because I am not out in big blue water as much. I do more near shore/inshore/lake/river fishing that big blue water.

I have the Man-O-War and have used these in all sorts of conditions. They have removable side shields which is a great feature. I can put these on when the wind gets moving on the flats or out on the lake.

Yes these are a little pricey But the preform....out preform.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

fishrman,

I also have the 580G but in the Jose frame.
I agree that the lenses are awesome and I love that the polarization layer is inside the glass so it can't get scratched.

I have two complaints about these lenses:

First, if I am working up a sweat and it is below 80 degrees outside, the lenses fog up so bad that I have to remove the sunglasses. This negates any benefit a $200+ pair of sunglasses have to offer. If anyone has a solution to this, I would greatly appreciate it if you could share your knowledge.

Second, I live 15 miles from Costa headquarters, yet I pay the same price someone in Oregon would pay. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've worn Costa's for over 20 years (6-8 pairs) and have had both good and bad experiences with their produces & customer service...good in early days, not so good the last time I dealt with them (2 years ago). The usual problems through the years- delaminating lenses & decomposing rubber temple inserts.
Over all I like the product but the quality of the frames has deminished since the companies sale to the Cross Pen Co (2003), as the frames were once made in France but now come Japan, Taiwan, Mauritius & China.

Costa sunglasses may be "built by hand in Florida", but they are not Made in the USA.*

* https://www.costadelmar.com/press/gadge ... r-580-lens

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have been fishing for over 40 years. I have been tournament fishing for over 20 years and have been guiding for the past eight years. I fish almost every day and almost without exception I tie the same knot. I have had this knot tested on a knot testing machine and it is as good as any other knot out there. It is fast and easy to tie in rough or windy conditions, even with lures that have many hook points.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI_J8Bk1eiM[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry, posted that on wrong thread. :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

fire dog--WELCOME! :D i heard a rumor you might become a 'regular' on this forum.
if you've been wearing costas that long (same as me--since about 1987), then you are probably talking about the old Osprey model! man those were awesome glasses. ugly as a mud fence, but the best fishing glasses ever made. and back then they were still made in ormond beach. i had my first pair of ospreys for like 10 years. i didnt wear them that long, and had other pairs along with them. but man, they were indestructible. i finally traded them in to CDM for a new pair of some model or another. those crapped out. and the customer service manager there now--rebecca i think, has been with them all that time. she was just a rep back then, but if i ever needed something i could rely on her. no so much anymore. lol CDM has gone down down down hill for years--from the standard they set in the 80s and 90s. frame quality--how many pairs have i had that the rubber nose piece 'rotted', or the rubber on the temples came off. hinges stretching, hinges made with plastic too hard and crumbing and FOREVER the lenses delaminating. lenses seem to explode whenever they hit something, or something hits them. i have three pairs now in a drawer that the frames are broken or the lenses are broken. CDM wont warranty these, but they will replace at a 'fee' if you argue enough. i'll get around to sending them in sometime or another. the lifetime warranty is still by far the best thing going, and really the best thing about the glasses. pain to get them to honor it for 'free', and not try to charge $49 for a lens or other fee. it aint cheap, but they will work with you.
sounds like i'm bashing CDM, but honestly they are what i wear 7 days a week--on the water and off. as bad as i really would like to get away from them, there is no product on the market that can equal what these glasses do. i dont prefer the 580s, either the P or G, but i like the 400 lenses--i prefer the green mirror. my eyes work well with those in shallow water or in an offshore spread, on brite days or cloudy. ive been wearing them so long, they just work for me.
there is no close competitor that i know of. i wish there was. there is a new company that just popped up in florida called RCI (right coast independent?) that claims may be the new replacement for CDM. they are a US company in indiatlantic, fl. but the glasses are actually made in italy. is that worse than china or hong kong like CDM? i dunno. but these glasses are only for sale in a few places right now. havent had a chance to try them. i begged them for a free pair, but no dice. lol.
until i check these out, or something else better comes along and can beat CDM, i'll trundle along as part of the costa del mar saltlife club.

cheers.
drew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

uno mas wrote:
fire dog--WELCOME! :D i heard a rumor you might become a 'regular' on this forum.

Thanks! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

[color=#00FF00][color=#40FF40[/color][/color]. I have worn every worthwhile sunglass on the market and have forsaken all except for My RCI mosquito lagoons I bought both lenses offered which are copper mirror and blue mirror the optics are as close to glass as you can get very sharp and detailed optics and a very light but super rugged frame that's built to last and because I am a bit vane the styling is superb I read one guy complain about the owners and the price both ridiculous reasons because the price is the same as CDM,maui,etc and I can assure you I,m not wearing the owners on my face.Also have to throw a plug out their to liquid eyewear I love my liquid gaskets won,t wear anything else on my motorcycle plus they are made in the USA indestructible and have a nice selection of lenses including the hellfire lens a transitional lens that really works.One more thing about the RCI glasses they will out perform every single fishing glasses on the market I drive my boat through a cross wind and the salt water seems to curdle right off the glasses AMAZING. Anyone want to buy mint condition maui jim island time or a pair of CDM Jose 580 I will sell cheap. Flawless condition.