Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As the Hobie Outback has a Mirage Drive fitted, the kayak is lacking a centre console. For years I used to keep my cutting board mounted on the centre console of the Big Game which meant it was always to hand. I really wanted a fixed cutting board on the Outback though it was a case of making something unobtrusive, close to hand and that could be removed when not needed. A bit of a tall order I guess, though after looking over the kayak I decided it was doable. There’s a length of GearTrac fitted on the right hand side of the kayak to allow the easy fitment and removal of a FF/GPS, camera, etc.

In the photo above the GearTrac is visible to the right, just ahead of the forward rod holder and rudder lowering control. I’d removed the cap covering the rod holder in order to provide a flat working surface.

I took a piece of nylon cutting board and cut it to shape to fit on the area between the GearTrac and the kayak lifting handle (visible to the far left in the above photo). A Mighty Mount was mounted onto the cutting board at the forward edge, this facilitated quick and easy fitment/removal to the GearTrac with the use of a T-bolt. To finish off the cutting board I mount a knife beneath the board, the knife being attach with a lanyard to prevent loss overboard.

As can be seen in the above photograph the chopping board covers the rudder lowering control. This isn’t a big deal at the chopping board can be fixed once anchored or once afloat and fishing. The rudder control can still be easily released with the cutting board in position if required. It can be fitted and removed in seconds and early trials proved very positive.

Lowrance Pro Staff
YakAttack Pro Staff
Hook1 Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice work and safe to boot!!.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

nice neat install.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would make a lanyard with a loop and attach it to the rudder control (T ) so you don't have to remove the board just pull the rope. Position the rope by your side.

Another solution would be to make a pivoting bait board to swing out in front of you and then swing back out of the way.

Good job.