Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have been adding various bits and pieces to the Hobie Revolution 11 - the latest is a Garmin GPS. This is the 4th kayak I have decked out, including previous ones with side imaging, and the installation gets easier - or at least you know what to look out for !

The Revo 11 forces you to think about the location of all of the components - it would have been really easy to slap on some gear trac rails on both sides of the kayak and simply fill the gunwales with gizmos - but having been there in the past - I am resisting the urge (at least for now !).

The main consideration for the location was safety - I anchor in the Bristol Channel and we have the second highest tidal range in the world - when you are retrieving the anchor, you end up spilling the anchor warp all over the place - you can guarntee that any clutter will end up tangling !!!! So I went for a lower profile installation (trying to avoid things which stick up a long way from the hull) - it also helps to have the cockpit area clear of too much clutter in case you have to get back on following a capsize.

So the GPS was mounted in the starboard cup holder using a quick release RAM mounting system. I am really happy with it - if anyone wants to see the detail, then I have written down a step-by-step guide on my blog...

http://dizzybigfish.co.uk/installing-a-gps-on-a-hobie-revolution-11-kayak/

When not in use, the GPS can be removed and the whole assembly left in situ - it will not interfere with car topping etc.

Ian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Neat install, and its good to see someone take emergency re-entry into account when mounting devices on the kayak.

I have the same ram mount for my lowrance elite4 and I considered the same position for it. Its an easy to reach spot, low profile, and is very convenient. Only two reasons I didn't use that spot:
1. I'm a bit on the husky side (5'8" 200#) and it might have gotten in the way of my re-entry since the lowrance is a taller device, and would stick up over the cup holder a bit.
2. I remember reading that the plastic hull was thinner in the cup-holders (dont remember which thread) and I thought against mounting something heavy in that slot.

But it worked well for your install, so ignore my rambling :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jcanracer wrote:
Neat install, and its good to see someone take emergency re-entry into account when mounting devices on the kayak.

I have the same ram mount for my lowrance elite4 and I considered the same position for it. Its an easy to reach spot, low profile, and is very convenient. Only two reasons I didn't use that spot:
1. I'm a bit on the husky side (5'8" 200#) and it might have gotten in the way of my re-entry since the lowrance is a taller device, and would stick up over the cup holder a bit.
2. I remember reading that the plastic hull was thinner in the cup-holders (dont remember which thread) and I thought against mounting something heavy in that slot.

But it worked well for your install, so ignore my rambling :lol:

Sounds like good advice to me - did you go for the gear trac installation for the Elite 4 ? I am interesterd, because I was planning on adding an Elite 4 Dsi (same form factor as Elite 4).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ian

Glad to see you have come over to the pedal side.

What about the side imaging humminbird I persuaded myself that I needed after reading your blog.

I have to admit its lucky I am small, given the stuff I have on my revo and managed to squeeze a 5 series on. I have given it a reasonable force 8 falling in test.

Mind you I have yet to see if it sinks when I go out with the evolve drive as well!
Cc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Chopcat wrote:
Ian

Glad to see you have come over to the pedal side.

What about the side imaging humminbird I persuaded myself that I needed after reading your blog.

I have to admit its lucky I am small, given the stuff I have on my revo and managed to squeeze a 5 series on. I have given it a reasonable force 8 falling in test.

Mind you I have yet to see if it sinks when I go out with the evolve drive as well!
Cc

Nice ! How are you getting on with the evolve drive ?

I managed to pick up an HD SI sonar (997) - but I think it would be way too big for the Revo 11.... I have to keep reminding myself that the reason I went for the Revo 11 was the weight (or rather lack of it); if I am not careful, I am going to gadget her up, like my previous yaks, and end up with a hulk !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The evolve has not been on the water yet due to a few snow issues but i have installed as a rudder mount on the Revo and in the T1 using the well mount. A bit of a pain as i have to unbolt the motor to change the mounting systems. Steve at the Hobie centre is seeing if he can get a separate motor unit so that is made easier.

The battery and control unit are very light so i am not worried about additional weight from it.

I put the sonar battery at the back
to leave room for the evolve at the front. although it doesn't fit with both the tug trolley and hatch liner in there

Here is a pic of the humminbird setup. i made it removable so you can take the whole lot and plonk it on to the Ti.

Oh and I have just taken the YakAttack dealership so will have all the stuff up for sale on a new website soon to save the time lag in ordering from the US. ..hence i have been trying it out on the revo..it seemed a good idea at the time!

when the snow clears i will be taking some more pics and splashing about some more.

One more thing.. I got a Teklon Concept Cast 662MH for christmas (very nice) and am searching for a baitcasting reel for it. have you any advice ?

CC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Chopcat wrote:
The evolve has not been on the water yet due to a few snow issues but i have installed as a rudder mount on the Revo and in the T1 using the well mount. A bit of a pain as i have to unbolt the motor to change the mounting systems. Steve at the Hobie centre is seeing if he can get a separate motor unit so that is made easier.

The battery and control unit are very light so i am not worried about additional weight from it.

to leave room for the evolve at the front. although it doesn't fit with both the tug trolley and hatch liner in there

Here is a pic of the humminbird setup. i made it removable so you can take the whole lot and plonk it on to the Ti.

Oh and I have just taken the YakAttack dealership so will have all the stuff up for sale on a new website soon to save the time lag in ordering from the US. ..hence i have been trying it out on the revo..it seemed a good idea at the time!

when the snow clears i will be taking some more pics and splashing about some more.

One more thing.. I got a Teklon Concept Cast 662MH for christmas (very nice) and am searching for a baitcasting reel for it. have you any advice ?

CC

Intrigued to hear about the YakAttak dealership - might have to give you a shout - I have been waiting for some gear trac (narrow) since last October - absolute nightmare :cry: - was going to put it in a similar location to yours and add the FF to it.

As for the reel - I am not a big expert on baitcasters, but I used a Daiwa megafoce recently and that was good - still can't beat the good old Shimano Calcutta 400 in my opinion - but what do I know !

ps. I have been using a battery bag (instead of the box) for a couple of years now - converted an old dry bag - really neat ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dizzyfish wrote:
Sounds like good advice to me - did you go for the gear trac installation for the Elite 4 ? I am interesterd, because I was planning on adding an Elite 4 Dsi (same form factor as Elite 4).

Sadly, no, I was impatient and wanted to install that fishfinder before last year's ExtremeKayakFishing tournament. If I had to do it all over again, my first step would have been to install those gear tracs. I have to remind myself that I do not want to put anything else on the gunnels of the kayak as I'm already betraying my inner minimalist :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

dizzyfish wrote:
Chopcat wrote:

CC

Intrigued to hear about the YakAttak dealership - might have to give you a shout - I have been waiting for some gear trac (narrow) since last October - absolute nightmare :cry: - was going to put it in a similar location to yours and add the FF to it.

As for the reel - I am not a big expert on baitcasters, but I used a Daiwa megafoce recently and that was good - still can't beat the good old Shimano Calcutta 400 in my opinion - but what do I know !

ps. I have been using a battery bag (instead of the box) for a couple of years now - converted an old dry bag - really neat ;-)

Pm me with what you need and I will sort it out for you. That is assuming you can pm me on this forum. If not. [email protected]. Will do.

In return you have to teach me how to fish!

Cc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Chopcat wrote:

Excellent photo this - I take it, that there was no issue fixing the GT90 trac to the top of the gunwale above the Revo side pocket?