Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Type I PFD
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wondering about something that was just brought to my attention....how many of you guys going offshore are using USCG certified type I pfd's...meaning at least 22lbs buoyancy designed to keep a person floating face up?

Most of the ones available even very expensive are only type 3.....there are a few inflatable PFDs that qualify but still few and far in between.....just something to take into consideration because the situation of getting into trouble at sea is very real and needs to be takin seriously....only reasonable ones I have found are commercial grade and although they look bulky they look like they will get the job done and are reasonable priced.

This is the one I have a few of....I get them for free from my dad who runs a construction job on the water currently....I also use them for kayaking shark baits off the beach at night.....let me tell you the strips of reflective tape on these jackets is very VISIBLE even when small amounts of light hit them

http://www.safelifejackets.com/product/ ... -Vest.html

This is the one I think I will be purchasing
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... SHOP_79762

reflectivity is very important....it gets dark fast when your stranded...

-Jeff

Post subject: Re: Type I PFD
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All of our Hobie PFD's are type 3 yes... but they all also have added reflective stripes - that is something we add to all of our models, so you're more visible in low light situations or even when the sun is getting low in the sky you'd amazed at how much more visible someone is - not just in the water if in distress, but sitting up in the kayak not in danger. It's always good to be seen by others - never-mind having fallen out of the kayak. A PFD should be only a part of an overall safety kit whenever you're going offshore - including a VHF radio or some other form of communication (in a dry bag of course)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jbernier wrote:
All of our Hobie PFD's are type 3 yes... but they all also have added reflective stripes - that is something we add to all of our models, so you're more visible in low light situations or even when the sun is getting low in the sky you'd amazed at how much more visible someone is - not just in the water if in distress, but sitting up in the kayak not in danger. It's always good to be seen by others - never-mind having fallen out of the kayak. A PFD should be only a part of an overall safety kit whenever you're going offshore - including a VHF radio or some other form of communication (in a dry bag of course)

I agree I know first hand that the reflective tape is a life saver in it self as I stated in my post.....problem is anything can happen when on the ocean, especially sailing in a small boat like the AI

For one instance in the occasion that you have a nylon aka brace bolt break under some heavy wind and the unlikely happens.... You capsize and something happens either knocking you out or incapacitating you.....I'd like to have the extra buoyancy of the type I floating you face up even in rough water

If the coast guard is rating a type III as a rating that is not sufficient for open ocean with a rescue response that is not immediate reflective tape (although extremely impostant)should not be suggested as an alternative to flotation(In the open ocean)....just sayin....i do agree a pfd should only be a part of ur overall safety equiptment tho...I would love to see a hobie type I fishing vest to go along the amazing fishing machine that is the adventure island....there's a lot of people using these offshore as I am a vest to suit would be great :mrgreen:

So what's ur guys thoughts on vests for offshore.....Jbernier maybe a link to the main forum ? Worthy discussion and with enough support maybe a hobie type I??

-Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a type III vest but I have a marine radio mounted to it and a EPIRB in my ditch bag along with many other self rescue items.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have to wear a type 1 PFD (150N flotation) when crossing our local bar to enter the ocean, so I have a manually inflatable "horse-collar" type. However, it is much more convenient to wear my type 11 PFD (100N flotation) as it has zipped pockets, and easy locations for my VHF and PLB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i agree my type 3 is very comfortable and with radio and PLB you will very likely be fine with that much float especially since most of us and pretty water savvy.....im just a freak about safety because as the rule states if it can go wrong it will....most of my concern is in the instance of being incapacitated