Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who sits where on a TI?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm curious as to what the seating arrangement is called on a tandem island. I know on a tandem bike the front seat is call the Capt. and the rear seat is called the Stoker. Is there a tandem island equivalent? Also when sailing solo which seat do you use front or rear, and why? My wife called dibs on the back so I always stayed up front. I sailed solo from the rear seat once and felt a little bit naked, hanging off the back end.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't know that there are special "names" for the seats, but who sits where is really a matter of personal preference. I only soloed our TI on its maiden/shakedown voyage on a pond in Delaware. Since hauling it down to Florida, I've always had at least one crew member along on every trip.

When using it as a kayak (main hull only), I prefer the front seat -- but any time we're sailing, I prefer the rear seat, as it is much more comfortable keeping an eye on the sail and the Windex on the top of the mast from there. It's also much easier for the crew do "mobile ballast" duty up front - moving from the seat onto the windward tramp as needed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I try to keep on the rocking chairs as much as I can. :mrgreen: Image

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Steve, the captain of a trimaran is referred to as the "Pilot". In the TI, this is normally the rear position.

The seat in front is occupied by the "Splashguard". :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dang! I have been doing double duty!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ha Ha NOHUHU.... I am definitely the splashguard...and the one who goes out on the tramps to keep us level in the good winds... oh the trouble I have to go through! Wouldn't change a thing!!! :D Love that pic.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've found it more comfortable sailing solo from the aft seat. More complete view of the vessels, sail, akas and amass, sheets, etc. Easier to teach novices as well from the aft seat. Can see how the learners handle the sheet and controls and make corrections when needed. Paddling is better from the forward seat.

Post subject: Solo in rear seat
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The majority of the time I solo sail my TI. Even tho' some people prefer to sit in the forward seat when soloing (adjacent to dagger board lever, and closer to the furling on the mast), I feel more comfortable in the rear seat. I also 're-rigged' the main sheet for 3:1 control in the rear seat. I moved the furling cam-cleat to the rear crossbar. The line was re-lead through several turning blocks to get the line out of the cockpit. I found that the OEM position was difficult to lock-release when I sat in the back.
I weigh 190lbs so the TI's bow sits slightly high. I found much less wave 'plowing'...the bow seemed to shoot over even steep chop rather than blasting water in my face. I don't use my tramps when the wind is really strong and chop-swell is building...so I appreciate sitting rear of most of the spray.
The one negative to sitting to the rear is having to lean forward over the front seat to work the daggerboard lever.