Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just got my PA 12 and am real excited about it. Sorry if this question sounds naive....but I'm new to the Mirage Drive: at the end of each forward/backward stroke I hear a distinctive knock coming from the bottom of the hull. Is this normal? Maybe this is the turbo fins hitting the underside of the kayak. Of course, I can shorten my forward/backward stroke and eliminate the noise but I'm wondering if I should adjust the travel distance of the fins somehow. The PA is so quiet moving through the water otherwise and I hate to announce to the fish that I'm coming their way. Thanks for any advice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sounds like you are long stroking and the drive tapping the underside of the hull. Either shorten your stroke, or lengthen the peddles. No need to press peddles to the absolute end of the stroke.

Cheers
Drew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

When I am pedaling my PA-12 with the Advantage seat in the lower position I do not get slap on the hull but when I raise the seat up I get the slap. I could adjust the position of the drive but I would rather have the lower seat position as the one that works best since that is what I use when traveling a longer distance. I just try to not pedal so hard and long in the upper seat position.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You need to adjust your pedals. With your legs fully extended you want you fins to be 2 inches from the hull.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

They are when I am in the lower seating position.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

bookworm wrote:
Just got my PA 12 and am real excited about it. Sorry if this question sounds naive....but I'm new to the Mirage Drive: at the end of each forward/backward stroke I hear a distinctive knock coming from the bottom of the hull. Is this normal? Maybe this is the turbo fins hitting the underside of the kayak. Of course, I can shorten my forward/backward stroke and eliminate the noise but I'm wondering if I should adjust the travel distance of the fins somehow. The PA is so quiet moving through the water otherwise and I hate to announce to the fish that I'm coming their way. Thanks for any advice.

Bookworm;
I have the 2013 PA14 and I did notice the knock. first make sure the mirage drive is installed correctly (no wobble). second I only got the knock when I fully extended the peddles. once you get going to a comfortable speed you do not have to continue the full strokes 1/2 strokes maintains the speed and stealth. I hope this helps. The knock is the fins hitting the bottom.

BentRodyakker
PA14
Rockaway Beach
Oregon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I occassionally would hear a very faint clunk after long periods of extensive pedalling and found that I had a broken rivet in one corner of the seat frame... just replaced the rivet and problem solved!

CBull

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It's amazing Hobie hasn't fixed this yet.

This is a well known problem with mirage drives and is discussed on many kayak websites. It's an adjustment issue. If you go through your drive and adjust, tighten and lube everything, it will stop the klunking. For a while. Then it will return.

It's loud enough that I think it scares off fish.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The klunking sound is your fins hitting the hull.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I agree that it is just the fins hitting the hull at the end of a pedal stroke. I'd just do as others suggest and either adjust the pedal postion on the drive or shorten your pedal stroke when the seat is in the raised position. I have a 2010 PA14 and have installed the slider on my seat which allows me to make quick and easy pedal stroke adjustments while I'm moving (slide the seat slightly forward or backward) and without having to change the pedal position on the Mirage drive. I actually like to do this to change up my seat/pedaling position slightly during long pedaling runs. I'm more comfortable if I'm not in the same pedaling position for too long. I know this isn't possible with the new PA seat, but it's a nice benefit of the modified older seat.