Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crew needed!!!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Recently I have been asked to find crew for sailors of Tigers in the Southern California area. This is a fairly new problem. I sent out an email calling for crew for the first sailor that asked I got messages back from 3 others that happened not to have a crew lined up for that particular regatta. I sent out another appeal notice to crews that have shown interest as well as other sailors who may have crews that are not being utilized. Most of the time we have no problems finding crews, they are usually the same people that have been with us for a long time. This is beginning to change, we need to consider the future and how we can get and keep the interest in this class.

How do we get more interest in the boat?

1. Be a force at regattas so people on other boats will notice and be inpressed by us. That is the only way they will make a change.
2. Sail more than just at regattas so we can train and encourage crews.
3. Find athletes from other sports that we can attract to this one.
4. Junior sailors at my yacht club are always interested in the boat when I take it out. I have been meaning to but have yet to take a junior sailing.
5. More owners mean more boats and more interesting numbers on the water.

We are not high profile enough yet. An 18 foot spinnaker catamaran is the same speed downwind as an I-14 or 505 and we are quite a bit faster upwind. An added advantage is that we have a very stable platform. Our natural attitude while waiting in between races is not upside-down. Fast, exciting, close quarter racing, what else can you ask for?

On the other hand, there may be a large number of people that want to crew on the boat and are waiting in the wings. If so, how do we make contact with these people?

Other ideas? We need to get the word out!

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:38 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
if yall figure this out let me know, we have skippers, boat, and no crew in my area...it seems to be a growing problem, a few people are headed back to the H16's so a cute girl on the beach can fit the bill and off yall go!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject: Re: Crew needed!!!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Dan DeLave wrote:
Recently I have been asked to find crew for sailors of Tigers in the Southern California area. This is a fairly new problem. I sent out an email calling for crew for the first sailor that asked I got messages back from 3 others that happened not to have a crew lined up for that particular regatta. I sent out another appeal notice to crews that have shown interest as well as other sailors who may have crews that are not being utilized. Most of the time we have no problems finding crews, they are usually the same people that have been with us for a long time. This is beginning to change, we need to consider the future and how we can get and keep the interest in this class.

How do we get more interest in the boat?

1. Be a force at regattas so people on other boats will notice and be inpressed by us. That is the only way they will make a change.
2. Sail more than just at regattas so we can train and encourage crews.
4. Junior sailors at my yacht club are always interested in the boat when I take it out. I have been meaning to but have yet to take a junior sailing.

Hi there,

#4 are the main source of crews down here. The Tiger skippers are always on the sniff for promising juniors.

For the 15/16 year olds we usually plant them on the front of a H18 (or similar) for a season to get used to the trapeze and extra speed over the bath tubs most start out on. 17/18 years sometimes are ready to jump right on the front.

Going for a yacht after work (if possible) and non-race training to get the fundamentals under control also go a long way.

Cheers,
Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dan,
There are a couple of hot teen sailors from MBYC that have been borrowing my H-20 and racing around the bay. You have to be willing to take the juniors for rides, get them on the water, and out on the wire. The chute is easy as most of these kids sail 29ers or 470s. In Mission Bay, I let them take the boat out. I don't know if you are willing to do this, but it gets the kids up to speed on righting the boat fast. :) Let me know dates and I may be able to set you up with crew. The kids all sail actively, so prior dates are a must as some will be racing somewhere.
Mike

Post subject: email
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Dan,
One thought - there are a lot of email resources within our division that I don't think everyone's aware of, so I don't think we're effectively getting the word out. I subscribe to 3 yahoo email lists, and I this is the first I've heard about anyone currently looking for F18 crew!

The lists...

[email protected] San Diego, 135 members
[email protected] Arizona, 47 members
[email protected] So. Cal, 55 members

The last one seems to have been set up by Shauna exclusively to recruit & coordinate new crew out of UCLA - she regularly hosts a "crew training" in Mission Bay, and it seems pretty effective.

To subscribe to any list, send a blank email to <listname>[email protected], e.g. [email protected].

This may not answer your underlying question of "how do we draw serious, experienced, competitive, young sailors into multihulls", but it sure can't hurt to overcommunicate amongst ourselves.

On that note, add me to YOUR email list. I dig crewing on the Tigers.

(P.S., I still need crew on my 16 for santa Barbara this weekend. 125-140#)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

correction, the arizona fleet is [email protected]

Post subject: Hobie Tiger crew ready
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,
My name is Alberto Verdeja.
I am ready to crew in Hobie Tiger for fun or regattas. I have years of experience in sailing (windsurfing, sunfish, hobie 16 and recently some in hobie tiger) Weight: 175 lbs, height: 6' 0", fit.
I am located in San Juan Capistrano CA 92675
Let me know.
[email protected]

Post subject: New Blood
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently had set up a "sail day" with th Scout troop I'm involved with.
While most of these Scouts had been down to the sea base in Newport, none had ever been exposed to Catamarans. The reaction was great from kids and parents alike. If we were to schedule a "crew day" or "Newbie day" with those of us that support/attend regattas instead of racing we might find some new blood. I used my Tiger but it would have been nice to have a H16 there as well.There are lots of Scout troops,ROTC,College ativity groups, neighbors and others that would jump at the chance to do somthing different.