Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hull Repair
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was given a Hobie 14 that is in bad shape; trying to decide how to repair the hulls and welcome input.

The hull decks in front of the trampoline have large soft spots and are warped and are sunk-in 1/2 inch in places. I'm considering using fiberglass sheets to strenthen the weak places - won't be a pretty repair, but hoping to get a few more seasons. This same problem occurs on the inner side of the hull near the same location.

Am I going down the wrong path? Is there a better way to repair these hulls? If the best plan is to replace, is there a good source for replacement hulls?

Post subject: Re: Hull Repair
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like some nasty damage. I think I would be hunting Craigslist for some hulls/parts boat. Whats your location...someone may have some hulls laying around!
My favorite craigslist search utility... http://75.148.127.254/States.htm allows searching entire state for 3 diff search terms at once with a nice consolidated list view of results!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There's a reason it was given away...hulls and decks severely delaminated forward of the pylons = the hulls are shot. Don't waste your time or money trying to repair this.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 1980 Hobie cat and the decks in front of the tramp are very soft and crackly, the rest of the hulls are good. I'd like to restore the boat, it's the only issue with the boat outside of a few holes in the hulls from hurricane sandy. It feels like a solid boat but it needs lots of work with all of the epoxy injections, sanding and gel coats. Is there anyone in the NYC area that would take on this project? If not how long do you think this type of project would take. I realize this is a labor of love. I just started sailing this summer, this being my 1st cat, I'd like to bring it back the right way and be a solid safe boat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If the decks are soft I would find another boat. Small areas I would repair...but the entire front deck, I would run from. :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a solid set of 80's H14 hulls in central TX, not sure where you are located?