Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am looking for the amas/akas for a 2006 hobie adventurer. I am in Charleston, SC. My yak has the smaller sail. I don't really like the look of the inflatable amas, but would pick up a pair of used ones in good shape if the price were right. I am leaning towards manufacturing my own amas out of plywood. If anyone has any suggestions, and help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do you use the Daggerboard when sailing your Adventure?
I found it improves the stability enough to make ama unnecessary with the small sail.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use the mirage drives as a daggerboard. I don't know about the daggerboard. I do have the hobie rudder. I also have the small sail. The reason I want outriggers, is because I am planning on sailing in the ocean, and want it to be as safe as possible. In shore, I don't care if the wind tips the boat, but offshore is a bit more dangerous.

I have ordered four lobster buoys and the two scotty rocket launchers. I plan on making amas or something out of pvc for support or maybe aluminum if I can find the right size pieces for the outriggers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ive gone the pvc route and you shouldnt follow....pvc is too heavy for its stregnth....use the hobie akas and amas or built foam fiberglass amas and some aluminum akas....heres a great site to follow

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/garyd/quikama.html

-Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you for that advice. I've kind of decided not to use the amas. If anything, I might get the hobie inflatables after all, since their only 169.00 and I have the small sail.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

True thats not bad for outriggers.....also consider just a single ama....if at the right height you can peddle with no risistance at all because itwill be outta the water.....its surprising how much stability just one ama provides....

Or you could just grab the island kit :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd be buying the DB before I bought the Sidekicks. It makes the Adventure a great little sailer! :wink:
You could always get the SK's later but you might find like I did that the DB is enough for stability.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Is DB short for daggerboard? Is that enough? It would seem that it would help you in the fact the boat would be less likely to tip over while sailing, but it would not provide additional stability if you wanted to say stand up when you were stationary. Would that be true do you think?

stringy wrote:
I'd be buying the DB before I bought the Sidekicks. It makes the Adventure a great little sailer! :wink:
You could always get the SK's later but you might find like I did that the DB is enough for stability.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes. DB=Daggerboard. The DB helps a lot with stability when sailing.
If you want to stand up to fish then you will need the sidekicks. Set them high for sailing and low for standing. They are a useful accessory, as is the DB! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks. I tend to think of things in the economic sense. The D B is 109.00 The amas are 169.00 If anything, I'll buy the amas (inflatables), and use them high for stability, so the boat doesn't heel over. It's a bit more, but I think more useful in the long run. Thanks much for the info by the way.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just wanted to mention I've had the inflatable amas (side kicks) installed about 3 months now. I love them. They add so much stability to the boat. They also let you sail in peace. I've sailed in 15-18mph wind with no concerns of being tossed into the water.