Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Beach potato, check out Wind Toys in Santa Rosa. He usually has a good selection and will do demos. He does have limited hours during the winter so leave a phone message.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Gas Yakker, i'm actually going to see one ( Hobie i s-12)first hand this weekend. A 2012 per the kayak outfit, may even still be in the box at most used once or twice. They're selling for $1250.00 seems like a pretty good buy. Definitely going to check it out and if looks good, it will be a go. Hope to be fishing and toplining at Lake Tahoe soon!

Thanks for all the advice here that did help me make my decision.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If the i12s doesn't come with a cart, look at my post here before buying the Hobie standard cart:

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=38100&p=194728#p194728

I'd tryout a strap on cart if the dealer has one, especially if you plan on launching from soft/muddy/sandy conditions.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Okay will do GasYakker, btw did you end up getting a Wheeleez ? for your i 12s

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Not yet. I'm attempting to mod the Hobie cart to work better on soft surfaces before investing in a new cart. I mostly launch from boat ramps or short portages so not crucial to spend $ on balloon wheels yet. It is annoying on the rare occaisions when you launch at high tide & return to a 20 yard sand beach at low tide.

The bigger problem is the weight distribution with the cart under the mirage drive. That REALLY sucks on long hauls because you can't rig at the car & be ready to launch when you get to the water. Most heavy gear goes behind the seat so the balance is completely wrong with cart under mirage drive.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I pulled the trigger and purchased the i-s12 Mirage this weekend :D . Couldn't demo on the water (banged up my knee) but unpacked, tried all the widgets on it and stood on it etc. I really liked it a lot. For $1250 (2012 model used a couple of times) i thought it was a good investment. Thanks again to all on this website that I will continue to look to for advice. And hopefully provide some contribution.

I see what you're talking about GasYakker, about the wheels and where they are situated. Plugged in the hobie wheels while there. Because of the weight issue (on the back-, crate, tackle, anchor etc) i did not purchase the hobie wheels. I will get the balloon wheels that can be strapped on wherever it makes sense on the inflatable.