Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mirage Drive problems?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I haven't bought one yet, but im looking at getting the hobie mirage pro angler 12. the mirage drive is the only thing that worries me. i will mainly be using the kayak on a smaller river, there will be trees down in the water on some sections. i am just worried that the mirage drive will get caught on the bottom when it gets shallow, or when there is a tree in the water if the mirage will get caught and broken. is there any way to remove the drive? or is it flush enough to slide over tree trunks? sometimes ill fish it on a lake and id like to have the drive then. but as for on the creeks what do yall think?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well I've learned that people mean different things when they say "creek" so it depends. The Pro Angler would not be my first choice when fishing what I consider a creek but certainly doable though. Yes, the mirage drive is easily removed and unless this is a "creek" with class three or more rapids, you probably won't break it if you do leave it in. Pusing one pedal forward makes the fins go right up against the hull so you can go in shallow water, but I would not recommend leaving it in if you are dragging across the tops or trees or rocks. The fins have rods in them and hitting obstacles just bends the rods and they can be removed and straighten pretty easy as well however.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

you also have to remember to pull up the rudder as well as remove the drive.

I have both a PA12 and Sport--former is for big water and latter for creeks, etc. works out well if you've got the storage space and $$$$ for both.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

LR110 wrote:
(1) i am just worried that the mirage drive will get caught on the bottom when it gets shallow, or when there is a tree in the water if the mirage will get caught and broken.

(2) is there any way to remove the drive?

(3) or is it flush enough to slide over tree trunks?

(4) sometimes ill fish it on a lake and id like to have the drive then. but as for on the creeks what do yall think?

I see your question as 4 parts, so I'll try to answer in 4 parts.

(1) The Mirage drive can be "fluttered" close to the hull so you can propel yourself in as little as 3 or 4 inches of water. You need to be aware of things in the water, but the Drive is very tough, it can take a beating. Different users protect their drives to different levels. I like to baby them a little bit, but others run them up on sand, don't worry if they nudge a tree etc. The parts that break are all replaceable. The Turbo fins have masts that don't go right to the end of the rubber, and sometimes after hitting too many things, a small hole can develop. I used the fins with that small hole for an entire season, and it wasn't a problem.

(2) Yes, the drive can be removed in LITERALLY one second. It clicks in like the seatbelt of a car, and clicks out in the same way. 1 click and it's in, two clicks and it's out. Simple! Awesome!

(3) You can leave the drive in, and it will within half an inch of the bottom of the boat if you spread the pedals. So yes, you can often leave it in.

(4) With Mirage drive boats, people almost always take the drive. It's up to you if you want to leave it in or take it out, depending on your creek. You'll know within 30 seconds of using your boat if it makes sense to leave it in instead of out.

Finally, You really should try to see the boat in person. Having a good look at it with a knowledgeable salesperson will help you a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Excellent answers to those questions.

The only other input I can muster is the obvious test drive.

Cheers
Drew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You have trees, I have oyster bars :roll: After fishing for a while out of your Hobie, you become much more aware of the water in front of you because of the mirage drive. I always leave mine in but snug them up against the hull when in shallows or something submerged. The only thing that may cause a problem is when you are in a swift current. If you hit something, the water will continue to push you forward often pinning the fins against the tree/oyster bar.

While I try to take care of the fins, I also want to be able to enjoy their use without having to be a worry wart. I figure that if I need to replace the fins, then that is a cost associated with using a Mirage Drive.

One preventative thing I do is cover the front/bottom edge of the fins with Gorilla Tape. It's tough and will keep your fins in pretty good shape.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

But, to remove the fins you have to have enough water to extend them so they can come up through the well........

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The Mirage drive can withstand a fair amount of abuse - I have bent a mast 45 degrees and put a hole in the fin. I just removed the fin (carry pliers with you for the split ring & clevis pin), bent the mast as close to straight as possible by hand, and put the fin back on - no problem the rest of the day. Some guys report being able to get home on one fin only. Of course, not bending the masts is better, but you get the point.
I would say that you might not want to get Turbo fins, as they are way easier to bend than regular length masts. You can get the ST fins that use the standard mast but have the square tips (ST), that give you more fin area and are closer to Turbo performance.