Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trolling woes
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had an interesting day fishing last weekend, I hooked (and lost) my first sailfish, caught my first grouper from kayak (small and out of season) and I attempted some trolling along the way.

In the morning I was trolling a regular spoon on braid and a diving yozuri on another braided line. No problems. But on the return leg of the trip when I was trolling that same spoon outfit and a live goggle-eye on my mono rig, the lines got horribly tangled and I had to sacrifice a good amount of braid to the recycle bin. I also noticed the mono line kept tangling in my sailing rudder, maybe my bait was deliberately trying to tick me off in retaliation :|

I am using the stock flush-mount rod holders for trolling duty, do you think this contributed to my problems and if so what do you all use to avoid this?

Post subject: Re: Trolling woes
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would mount rod holders that swivel out so your rod tips are angled away from your yak, thus increasing the spread between your lines. Scotty, Railblaza are 2 companies that offer such rodholders. The other thing to bear in mind is any current in your area in relation to the direction your are turning or travelling. I am not too familiar with warm water fishing but if possible have one line down deeper and one shallower and that will give you further separation. I know your pain--I used to troll for salmon commercially and when 2 of my main steel lines would tangle you could have upwards of 25 different lines and flashers, lures all tangled together. :o
T2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That sounds like a royal pain T2!

I would like to avoid permanently mounting anything more on the kayak as the revo11 gets crowded really quickly. Do you think the rocketlaunchers that most people put in the flush mounts will spread the lines sufficiently?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Trolling only one line will eliminate tangles :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Islandspeed--that's been my solution so far! :D As far as the rocket launchers go, if they swivel out at right angles to the boat, that will give you the spread you need. I don't use them but I have read that a hard strike from a larger fish will pull the launchers over--not what you want!
BTW--I have to put 3 layers on to go out in the yak right now--your stories of nice warm water fishing sound like heaven at the moment.
T2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tsquared wrote:
Islandspeed--that's been my solution so far! :D As far as the rocket launchers go, if they swivel out at right angles to the boat, that will give you the spread you need. I don't use them but I have read that a hard strike from a larger fish will pull the launchers over--not what you want!
BTW--I have to put 3 layers on to go out in the yak right now--your stories of nice warm water fishing sound like heaven at the moment.
T2

Set the drag on your reels just tight enough to set the hook. I have a Ram tube mount on the front of mine for when I am soaking bait. When a big red hits, I can't get the ball on the Ram mount tight enough to keep from it pulling down. Just need to set the drag just right.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

islandspeed2001 wrote:
Trolling only one line will eliminate tangles :lol:

actually, I think this is what I will do if I've got a livebait out.

On my way out/in I think I can get away with two lines only if I spread the lines a bit more and make sure one is a surface lure and the other is a diving plug.

I'm going to get some of those rocket launcher things to keep the reels a bit drier and the lines a bit more separate, but I appreciate the warning about the rod mounts on swivels.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have you considered adding a side-planer to your live bait rod? I think that it would do exactly what you want. The only question would be if it would hurt your hook setting capabilities.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

pdxfisher wrote:
Have you considered adding a side-planer to your live bait rod? I think that it would do exactly what you want. The only question would be if it would hurt your hook setting capabilities.

I had to google that; never seen a side-planer before. I wonder what kind of drag it would induce and whether it would work in choppy seas or not. the videos on youtube seem to show it for rivers and lakes.

Actually, if I had a bigger kayak like a pro-angler I think a down-rigger would work best for the livebait.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have never used a side planer, I just knew they existed. I do not think that they would drag too much. I am pretty sure it would be way less than a downrigger, but they may not work in the roughness of the ocean.

Lots of folks out here in the PNW use down riggers on kayaks smaller than pro anglers so you might want to look around a bit. I think that if you poke around on NWKA you can find a bunch of setups.

One last wacky suggestion: Could you use a small kite? I am not sure if that would work for trolling.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Putting the kite up would be great.....you would have to be on ancor or drift sock tho...the ladder meaning you would need a buddy with you and do the drop point technique(drop one car a few miles down drift before you start) so theres no peddle back :mrgreen: .....a plus would be on the right winds you could use the kite for propulsion :mrgreen:

Check this out, built it for my island but im sure you could modify with a lower center tube because you dont have a sail to contain

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=46353

Using 7ft rods it gives me a 16ft spread....i could likely run a shotgun middle bait but two lines is almost too much in a yak :mrgreen:

-Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PDX, the kite thing would certainly create propulsion in an unwanted direction :lol:

Deepbluesilence, I like that setup! too tall for the tippy revo11, but it gives me ideas. I think Islandspeed also had a home made rocket-launcher-style PVC construct which held 4 rods. I should get around to finishing that some time soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you are trolling lipped lures, try trimming one side of the lip... the lure will tend to draw to the trimmed side (less resistance) so the lines will tend to stay separate.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The rear flush mount rod holders are too vertical to run 2 rods while trolling IMHO. they are also behind you, how do you watch them? I would look at putting two rod holders in front of you. I have really been liking the ram pivot tubes or the ram holders that look like Scotty's but are raised up. I like to run my rods pointed a few degrees forward and almost horizontal. The best part of this set up is the ability to zig zag as you troll. Your inside lure slows down and sinks, as your outside lure speeds up and rises. This usually triggers strikes for me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jbaker wrote:
The rear flush mount rod holders are too vertical to run 2 rods while trolling IMHO. They are also behind you, how do you watch them?

I don't watch them, I depend on a properly set drag pressure and the clicker on the reels to alert me. Sometimes if I see a lot of seaweed floating I will check the trolling lines to make sure I am not dragging any on my lines.

Quote:
I have really been liking the ram pivot tubes or the ram holders that look like Scotty's but are raised up. I like to run my rods pointed a few degrees forward and almost horizontal. The best part of this set up is the ability to zig zag as you troll. Your inside lure slows down and sinks, as your outside lure speeds up and rises. This usually triggers strikes for me.

An interesting approach; what kind of lures do you use and is this in an offshore or inshore application?