Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

from a standpoint of portability, transportability and still high-performance fishability, what is your top pick? the PA boats are not really considered car-topper material, so which other would you choose?

cheers.
drew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The main yak I put on top of a car is the outback. As I get older I have gotten a trailer for the yaks. I can still handle the outback to load for travel to the lake, but later in the day I have a harder time getting the yak above my head and lifting to the rack.

Outback is a good all round fishing platform.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Revo is the best all-around kayak in the Hobie line as far as am concerned. I cartop both an Oasis and a Revo, so the Revo always feels really light to me, and I love fishing out of it. I am not a real gear head, so the narrow gunwales aren't a problem. Guys who want to bring the kitchen sink and spread stuff everywhere need the width of the Outback.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Smaller and lighter are the best for car-topping. By that definition, the Revolution 11 can't be beat. But you mention fishing. I don't fish, myself, but I would assume that the best thing for fishing is a little bit more space. In that case, try the Revolution (a little larger than the Revolution 11)

At the end of the day, the Revolution is only a little bit heavier and a little bit longer, so it will only be a little bit tougher to get on the roof, but you may appreciate the space.

We car-topped our Revolution (and my Adventure island) without any problems, even both at the same time on a Honda Civic. So car topping isn't all that difficult if you get a few loading techniques down.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, Revo 11 is the best car-topper.

The Outback, though manageable, is quite heavy and awkward (potential back-breaker).

The Revo 13 is a little bit better, but for in terms for features & performance vs weight and ease of loading, the Revo 11 is unbeatable...

Cheers,

Mike.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have always had limited storage space (apartment living) and I used to have a smaller car (hatchback) to carry kayaks. So my first Hobie was a Sport and then I traded up to the Revo11. For the weight and portability, the Revo was the clear winner for me, I couldn't buy it fast enough!

Its a fine fishing platform offshore as long as you don't load it down with too much gear, and inshore its great but for goodness sake do not try to stand in it :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Female = Revo 11
Male = Revo 13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm 66 years old, no weightlifter, and the Durango is taller than I am. That's a PA-14.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Great input everyone.
This is a very helpful thread for many people researching which kayak to choose and along those same lines, We are thinking about purchasing another kayak as a quick-load-and-go boat when we want to just toss a boat in the truck and go for a quick trip.
Myself and,others I'm sure, appreciate the input.
With my limited experience with fishing other Hobie models, this info is most helpful.

Cheers
Drew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dregsfan wrote:
Female = Revo 11
Male = Revo 13

oh please :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

With the wide selection of car-topping accessories out there, one could argue that any one of the Hobie kayaks are easy to car-top and transport.

The only real limitation is financial constraints (or, in some cases, creativity).

Personally, I have not regretted our purchase of a Yakima trailer. I don't have to think about car-topping and the trailer can be easily put in a vertical position so I can park in a parking spot intended for a car.

Good luck in your search.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jcanracer wrote:
dregsfan wrote:
Female = Revo 11
Male = Revo 13

oh please :roll:

i think he meant for ease of loading.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

uno mas wrote:

i think he meant for ease of loading.

Which still sounds sexist and wrong. Why don't we say the Revo 11 is for old people and the Revo 13 is for young people? That would be wrong too.

There are women in my own family that could out muscle men in my family. There are young people that couldn't hold a candle next to the older members of this forum. Let's leave discriminatory comments aside, and let everyone decide the best boat for themselves based on the features of the boat, not the perceived strengths or weaknesses of a specific demographic.

EDIT: I was thinking about this again. My wife had a Revolution 13 and loved it. Even if the above statements don't come across as sexist, they're still flat out inaccurate. If I was going to buy a new Hobie Kayak today, for myself, it would be the Revolution 11, and I'm a male.

Both boats are great for both genders, and the deciding factor will come down to the end user, and what features matter most to them. Neither one should be labelled a woman's boat, or a man's boat as neither boat has any design features that would eliminate one gender over the other. This is important because there are kayak companies that tailor features like seats, and other pieces to men's and women's unique hip structure etc. Hobie does not do this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

well said augaug.
My own decision to go with the Revolution was based on the size of my public storage container, and the Revo11 was the only yak bigger than the Sport model which would fit. That said, the low weight of the hull has been a blessing for my back which is prone to muscle spasms despite my young age (29).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Loading or unloading should not be an issue. At 55, I can still lift a boat overhead, and have been doing that all my life, but don't need to anymore. I finally took the time to practice and fine tune the system of lifting one end for a side loading process on my tall 4runner. For anyone who has concerns about loading, I would highly suggest learning more about this. When done right, it's very simple and no challenge, especially as you fine tune a system for your particular vehicle, bars, etc.

This lets you buy the boat you really want, not the one that restricts you to perceived loading issues.

One Ocean Storm cedar stripbuilt
2009 Native Ultimate 12