Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well i went and got my is 12 inflatable and now it's time to start rigging her up and taken her out for a fishing spin.

Has anyone out there with either the is 9, or the is 12 inflatable added to or added another seat to their hobie?

I know they have the strap in front which no one else has. But that is something that can be added on to other seat mfg'ers.

I also was wondering if there is another pad or other way you can stack it right on top of the existing seat for a little more comfort AND support.

Any ideas are welcome out there, thanks all.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I place a throwable life cushion under the provided hobie seat. Gives me a little height above the seat. But it does make my back hit the back rest a little higher.

I have added a plastic molded seat for the back rest to be more ridgid. Give that a try. You might like it or not.

Good Luck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

"..."

Last edited by SteveLIBS on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SteveLIBS wrote:
The seat is inflatable, so you can have it full or let a little air out for more 'give' if you want.

I'm not sure that's the case. I believe the inflatable boats have a different seat than the rest of the Mirage Drive boats. I haven't seen an inflatable lately, but the website still shows the seats without the adjustable (inflatable) backrests.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

"..."

Last edited by SteveLIBS on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Beach Potato.

You've discovered one of the many non-interchangable aspects of the inflatables with the rotomold boats. The rotomold Hobie seats don't have a crotch strap & use pegs at back of the seat bottom rather than straps. This is pretty standard for other mfrs. as well.

My 2011 i12s seat has 2 bolts & velcro where the pegs would be in a standard seat. You can remove the seat bottom by unfastening the bolts & velcro, as you probably found already.

Now, I'm not sure but you can POSSIBLY swap seat bottoms with a standard Hobie seat if you want to upgrade the back. You'd also have to transplant the tension cord on the back that keeps the seat from flopping forward. Maybe someone with a non-inflatable can confirm all this? Or take your seat to a dealer and see what's possible.

It may also be possible to use the bolts to fasten the inflatable's seat bottom to an entire standard seat. You keep the straps you need & get double padding & a little extra elevation.

There are a bunch of seat pads on the market you can probably velcro to the seat bottom and/or boat. You can also just get some foam and cut to fit.

A cheap upgrade is to get a few tri-glides and use them to keep the straps neat and tight. Otherwise there's a lot of extra strap flapping around & I find the straps do slip a little - very annoying once you get everything just where you like it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

first let me apologize to Gas yakker, stevelibs, etc those who posted a reply on the seating subject for not getting back and thanking you for your input sooner. Thanks for the suggestions, i think i'll try the velcro thing to a seat pad giving me a bit more elevation. And good idea for the straps to Yakker. Appreciate it.

Thanks all, beachpotato

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It's been a while since there has been a post on this topic, but I thought my lawn chair modification to the i14t might be worth considering.

$11 dollars at the local hardware shop and two off cuts of 4B2 have provided a simple and comfortable solution. :D

I initially tried the seat without the 4B2 base, but seat frame rubbed onto the side tubes. Whilst this didn't seem to be doing damage, the 4B2 laid on the flat provided enough clearance to avoid rubbing. It also helps tension the seat. As shown in the photo, the standard seat is fitted over the bottom part of the lawn chair. The straps are then tightened. Sliding the 4B2 under the front and rear frame provides additional tension. It also elevates the seat and keeps my rear end dry! It also provide storage space for shoes and a drink bottle.

Although hidden underneath the bum pack, the top of the padded seat is secured in place by the two front straps which contact to a D shackle and then tightened.

I've tested this configuration twice, and found it easier on the legs and back.

Yet to see if it will also work in the forward seat or will interfere with the mast.

Cheers

Mick

Note: The 4B2 is closer to 70x35mm or about 3"x1.5"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Great idea!

I worry that the center of gravity may be a little high on an i12s. How "tippy" does it make the boat feel?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice move Mick... Maybe he will check back and see you additional comments... Very NICE!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the comments.

It's surprisingly stable and not tippy at all. Even when I leant over the side to see how the repair patch was doing, it hardly changed the lean of the kayak. The wide base of the i14t is very stable.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

wow that is an alternative :D . I like that a lot. It's light and elevates, easier on back and legs. This is another idea that if the $ was in it Hobie could run with as an accessory. I noted you said it rested on the board. Did you attach permanently? Is there a reason not to permanently attach to the boards?

Anyway thanks for a great, usable idea.

Beach Potato

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Glad you like the rig. You are right it's easy on the back and legs.

The boards serve two purposes:

1. Elevate the chair so the frame doesn't rub against the side wall tubes. (Depending on the width of the chair, this may not be needed)

2. To spread the load of the bottom frame so that it doesn't wear the floor. My first idea was isolating foam as used on hot water pipes.

The rig is secure enough and the frame doesn't need to be fix to the boards. Also, when the chair is folded down, the bottom rail moves forward by an inch or so. The straps hold everything firmly but has enough flex to fold the back down for transporting. BTW I transport mine on the roof.

Cheers

Mick

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This may sound silly, but can you tell me the make/model of that beach chair?

All the chairs that I'm finding are way too wide to fit in the i12s.

The width of the floor space is approx 16" and the chairs are around 20".

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry can't help you with make or model as I bought it as a one off at the local hardware shop. When I checked back to buy a second one they'd sold out.

Keep your eyes open and you might get lucky.

Cheers

Mick