Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

kiwiyaka wrote:
I would like to see a little longer rudder blade that is kicked under the hull slightly so it reduces the weather helm feeling when in decent winds

Just saw your post kiwiyaka. Your wish has already been granted. The new larger rudder blade on the AI has indeed fixed the weather helm - to the point of it now having a slight lee helm. It has made a world of difference to the AI's handling in strong winds.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So, I asked Batman what he would like to see in an "improved AI/TI". As you know from his modification work, he's never short on suggestions. :roll: Such as:

1. "A Standard, reinforced flat-transom mount with four bolt pattern" just like the "real" Hobie sailboats. This would eliminate all our "rocking gudeon" issues and associated failures. And it would make it possible to ensure that the plate is fastened securely without pulling the rudder pin.

2. Going to the standard design could also allow you to install "a seaworthy rudder of your choice". Such as a 3rd party solution. (Nice option for the TI, I think).

3. "More rocker and a wave-friendly prow!" We'd like to to take these boats out into open water, and surf them with less worry.

4. And of course, "an optional jib" which would mount perfectly onto said bow. (OK, that's actually from MY wish list).

Let's get started with those ideas. After 6 years, it's time to evolve. :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm keen on the fixed stainless mirage cranks seen in Josh Yakass recent clips.
It allows you to get rid of some bits, and once I found setting 7 was for me I've never changed it - why not bolt it there.

A vertical groove on the ends of the sprocket shaft to line up the correct plain and enable adjustment with a screwdriver would be helpful.

I like the look of the Pro Angler seat - can it be adapted to the AI?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y34MsIUVWAY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

@ chrisj, yeah the new blade is better but i still think if it had a longer and more vertical front profile it would handle better in stronger winds and swell. Same with the black dagger boards the flex in them is shocking compared to the white glass ones and it must affect pointing performance.
@davew, you can change the pins with bolts in your mirage drive adjustment. Josh had his crank arms custom made and Holger (started forum) uses them to. PM him if you want more info.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
3. "More rocker and a wave-friendly prow!" We'd like to to take these boats out into open water, and surf them with less worry.

Let's get started with those ideas. After 6 years, it's time to evolve. :idea:

When I suggest more rocker a few years ago, I got a lot of push back. See http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=90 The discussion is at the bottom of page 7 and beginning of page 8. I believe it was then moved out of that thread.

I agree, after 6-7 years, it is time to evolve. More rocker is a major change, like going to the vertical rudder. A change to a more wave-friendly AI, call it "AI 2," might induce me to upgrade again.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Maybe it's just me, but I wish Hobie would return the rudder lever to operating in a horizontal plane, like it used to in the pre-2011 AI's, instead of the near vertical plane it operates in now. Much better when using a tiller extension.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

chrisj wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but I wish Hobie would return the rudder lever to operating in a horizontal plane, like it used to in the pre-2011 AI's, instead of the near vertical plane it operates in now. Much better when using a tiller extension.

When the handle got longer, we had to tilt the steering a little. Maybe 10 degrees more than it was. It, if like the TI, is at 20 something degrees off horizontal and still works well with a tiller. It's a balance between ergonomics, throw and space available.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I agree about the steering handle. The position is wrong. When I have to steer for a long time (days) my wrist starts hurting due to the unnatural angle. I wish Hobie would design something completely new. Available steering on both sides would be nice. Why does it have to be side to side. Not a natural hand movement.

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK, how bout a HUD? (Heads up display?) 8)

OK, Maybe not. But let's remember, a longer tiller gives you finer adjustments and better leverage. Those can be good things. And using the optional tiller grip ball (or hiking stick) can make things less fatiguing. At least,in theory.

Meanwhile, the new vertical rudder is larger and more efficient. It's also more sensitive to adjustments, in my experience, and can handle greater loads/speeds.

And the faster your boat goes, the more you'll need to make those "smaller" adjustments.

So a longer tiller is a good thing. At least, in theory.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keith, I too would aspire to own an upgraded AI/TI, if Hobie would build it.

You don't have to go to extremes on the bow, but a little more length, lift and anti-dive is called for. This hull may be close to the perfect shape for an Ama.

So start with longer, more buoyant AI Amas. More elevation in the Akas.

The main hull could use more keel, freeboard and carrying capacity. Maybe even foils to exploit planing of the hulls. (Now we are having fun).

But back to the bow - the copyright's expired now, so let's steal a few more cues from the polynesians, who were no strangers to sailing, surfing and swells.

These bows are fast and wave friendly. And the perfect place for Hobie's new "bowsprit" option. :wink:

Their 1000 year old bow design is still compelling.

,Just another reason we say we're "Prowed to be Hawaiian".

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I hope Jim Czarnowski is taking notes.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think they copied my splash guards.... 8)
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=46252

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:

OK, Maybe not. But let's remember, a longer tiller gives you finer adjustments and better leverage. Those can be good things. And using the optional tiller grip ball (or hiking stick) can make things less fatiguing. At least,in theory.

Meanwhile, the new vertical rudder is larger and more efficient. It's also more sensitive to adjustments, in my experience, and can handle greater loads/speeds.

And the faster your boat goes, the more you'll need to make those "smaller" adjustments.

Nohuhu,

I agree that the tiller handle is insufficient for heavy weather or long voyages. So I did install a longer tiller and tiller arm, and it works really well.

See it here:
kayakman7 wrote:
Hi,

I've noticed on several occasions that the tiller arm is too short, that the tiller can turned a full ninety degrees and not fully turn the rudder. A longer tiller arm should allow full use of the rudder but a longer tiller will be needed to compensate for the increased leverage of the longer tiller arm.

the copper tube is filled with epoxy and increases the strength of the joint between the carbon fiber tube and the stainless tiller arm. nylon washers fit between the spring and boat and between the boat and the locking pin.

the zip ties are merely insurance, the loops in the rudder line are too small to be removed

I lengthened the tiller by drilling down the center and inserting a length of carbon fiber rod.

I can turn the rudder lock to lock with ninety degrees of tiller movement instead of 180 degrees. This will allow for some stretching of the rudder line and still maintain control.

cheers,

j

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

NOHUHU wrote:

All this talk is eventually leading to one place: the autopilot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:32 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
All this talk is eventually leading to one place: the autopilot.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next