Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I posted earlier regarding going to the lower Key's loading the battlewagon Oasis on the Explorer. I should have said Exploder. Trans went last week at 94,000 miles on a '93 I bought new and maintained very well. Didn't need payments on a car since the Exploder was paid off. Oh well, maybe the Honda Pilot will work out better. Guess I should be grateful the failure didn't happen while on the road.

We'll be targeting lobster, (snorkeling/ bully netting) but will be taking a couple rods too. Anyone have experience fishing down there early to mid February and what species can be targeted on the Atlantic side that is within safe range via. Oasis w/Turbo fins?

In any case I'm certain that it will be a blast. I'll solo (as I usually do at home)when the wife doesn't feel like going.

Any species that are most common mid February within a couple of miles of the shore line when conditions permit? Thanks for any input for those of you that know.

2011 Oasis Ivory Dune

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

a bit north of where you are going, say Miami or Broward county, its sailfish season and you usually have king mackerel in the 100'-200' depth which could be as close as 1.5 miles from shore depending on the location. I would be willing to bet that Atlantic side of the keys would be similar.

Good luck and take pics!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

All of these are within a short peddle:
Tarpon (at the bridges), Amber Jack, Cero Mackerel, Bonnet Head Shark, Black Tip Shark, Yellowtail Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, and plenty more.

Lots of action at the bridges and shallow reefs.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the responses. I'm so ready to get out of the 22 degree weather. Sailfish within 1.5 miles (depending on the location). Wouldn't that be cool.

I suppose plenty of species. Chances are pretty good that we'll catch more than a sunburn.

2011 Oasis Ivory Dune