Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Put your battery storage in the rear hatch with one of the drop in trays. It's not much good for anything other than that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So any chance of these hatches appearing on other Hobie models?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I like the new hatch much more than the old style, the older style hatch was one of the negative things I didn't like on the PA1, during standing it was in the way and forced me to stand off center. With the new PA2 style moving around the deck is much easier for me, I normally don't stow plano s in the hatch I keep them under my seat, I removed the tray holder, and stow my electronic batteries in there. I have noticed that the UV is fading the plastic quickly.
I my opinion it was a great change, I had no use for a cutting board down that low, mine is mounted on the side rail out of the way.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:54 pm 
Site Admin

mingle wrote:
So any chance of these hatches appearing on other Hobie models?

Certainly possible. Will be on the Hobie Getaway next season for sure. Needs a large flat area, so not many current models could use it.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Will be on the Hobie Getaway next season for sure.

That's a great application for a hatch like this. The current one on the Getaway always looked like a bit of an afterthought to me. This is clean and custom looking.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

Baja_Traveler wrote:
the lower box always falls out into the hull.

I was just having a look at one here. How could the lower Plano fall out (the ones we provide are a net fit)? Maybe the line (that raises and lowers the tackle management as you open the hatch) comes off the lid and allows them to come out? With the line properly attached to the lid fitting and run through the "handle" on the bottom side of the tackle management... I see no way for the tackle boxes to come out. The line acts as a seat belt.

How do you think that is happening?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

the two pivot pins on the aft side of the management system sometimes 'hop out' of their little slots and the whole rig can fall into the hull. the rope is the only thing keeping it from being lost in the bowels of the boat. it's happened to me a couple of times. i think it may be getting jarred during loading or unloading, and hops the tracks from there.

matt, please please please ask the design guys to 'find' that extra 1/4" to fit a trio of plano boxes in the gear bucket. :D

cheers.
drew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

I could not push hard enough on the management part to push it into the hull... off the hatch lip. huummmm?

The PA12s dimension from floor to hull bottom is the limiting factor. That can't change now.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
Baja_Traveler wrote:
the lower box always falls out into the hull.

I was just having a look at one here. How could the lower Plano fall out (the ones we provide are a net fit)? Maybe the line (that raises and lowers the tackle management as you open the hatch) comes off the lid and allows them to come out? With the line properly attached to the lid fitting and run through the "handle" on the bottom side of the tackle management... I see no way for the tackle boxes to come out. The line acts as a seat belt.

How do you think that is happening?

I'm not exactly sure, but it's happened since the first day I used it with factory setting. I did try to tighten up the slack on the line to the point that I could not close the hatch lid, and that did not help. I do have a serious slop issue with the tray though - it barely holds in the track and falls out quite easy - like it's undersized or something. I'm sure that is a contributing factor...
I dropped in a bucket last weekend, and like it much better.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Where can I purchase the drop in bucket? ACK my local dealer does not have any and they are not on their website either.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think that the recatangular hatch design is great but the deep gear bucket accessory looks excellent. HOBIE FOR THE WIN

BUT...... HERES A DESIGN SUGGESTION FOR PA12
make the front hatch more water tight please there are two holes where the bungies thread through and water will go in there in mild waves. I was dumb enough to put my iPod in there and now R.I.P. iPod. :|

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:06 pm 
Site Admin

CheapFish wrote:
Where can I purchase the drop in bucket? ACK my local dealer does not have any and they are not on their website either.

Any dealer will have access. ACK can order from us. Contact them and special order?

71709001 BUCKET, HOBIE RECTANG HATCH

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How about this comment...for the $2900 or so asking price,,, you don't even get a good paddle keeper. At least the Outbacks have that. I have a 2013 PA12 and have it for sale.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

dogdad wrote:
How about this comment...for the $2900 or so asking price,,, you don't even get a good paddle keeper. At least the Outbacks have that. I have a 2013 PA12 and have it for sale.

Stay tuned... paddle keeper #3 on the way. Give us another month or so I'd bet, but totally understood and the engineers are nearly done with testing.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Revo and am looking to move to a PA. This discussion is very interesting and I appreciate Matt bringing it up. Leaning toward the PA 14 but I see the tackle management, lack of rod rests and no molded trays along the side as issues. Love the seat and standing area...

As for stuff sliding around in the hull, I put a length of marine shelf liner inside and it keeps things from moving around and muffles the sound. No need to glue it in, it stays put.

GCKFA #1