Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wet Suit or Dry Suit
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Which do you recommend for sailing in cold weather (down to say 6 degrees C)? Which are good brands/models for sailing?

Post subject: Re: Wet Suit or Dry Suit
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd be rocking a drysuit at that temp.
Kokatat Goretex is worth every penny and their support is top notch!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bruce

There is an excellent line in drysuits made right here in Ottawa, Canada.
Go to the Paddle Shack on Richmond Rd (or Trail Head, or even MEC), I think it's called Level 6. Kokotat also have good stuff.

As you may know, one of the tricks is to wear appropriate underwear (as in under shirts and long johns) made from new high tech material that wicks the moisture away. That's where the warmth comes from.

Two evenings ago (Weds Sept 19), with a pure wool TShirt under my wet suit, I was cold by the time we sailed back in from racing. Who knows what we'll need for Turkey Trot.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

As it seems you are from Canada (Ottawa area) as mentioned by John..... isn't 6cel still considered shorts weather for us? (ok, maybe a shorty wetsuirt) I know we're a little bit softer on the left (west) coast, but us Canadians can handle those balmy temperatures better than most!? Right?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

6C (43F) may be 'shorts' weather when it's sunny and otherwise warm.
So normally yes....

The sun set while we were out on the water, so it was less than comfortable.

As Canadians, we are not shy to go out in cooler weather, however, we are very respectful of hypothermia. And of a good beverage after sailing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OK what the h_ll are you doing in cold weather! Dude get some sun! go find some warm water.
Sailing year round and I don't own a wet suit! only a long sleeve rashgaurd.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Agreed on the dry suit if the water is relatively as cold. "Dress for the water temp, not the air temp" is a good rule of thumb..

Also, a wet suit relies on first being saturated with water before it creates an insulating layer. A dry suit better helps you to avoid that initial shock when you get emerged that can lead to you involuntarily gasping and taking in water. Also when you get out of the water, a wet suit is still, well... wet. Not good, especially if there is a cold wind.

In my personal opinion, I own and enjoy wetsuits for comfort in non-hypothermic water temperatures. If you are going to play in colder water, a dry suit is a must.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

KOKATAT ... KOKATAT ... KOKATAT !!!

A Drysuit is the only why to go ... the comments made above about a wetsuit needs to be wet are "right on" !!!!!

Recently my 10yrs old Gore-tex Kokatat Drysuit started to leak ... and the neck seal ripped. So I sent it back to Kokatat for repairs ... (2) days later I received a phone call and it went something like this ...

"Mr Murphey, we have some bad news ... your drysuit is starting to leak because the material is delaminating ... and furthmore, we do not make that suit in those colors anymore .... but ... we currently make the suit in these three new color patterns, yellow/black, blue/black and green/black .... please pick one and we'll send you a "BRAND NEW" replacement Drysuit at "NO CHARGE" !!!!" ...

SWEET !!!!!!!

Buy it once ... and your'll have it for life !!!! Buy a "all-most" Gore-tex" drysuit from someone else ... and always be spending $$$'s to replacing it every 'X' yrs ...

I picked yellow/black .... so if I'm ever floating around in a large body of blue/green water, when I wave at that helicopter trying to find me ....

... and don't forget to order the "relief zipper" .... I used to do a lot of +12 hr distance races ....

Layer underneath w/ "poly-pro" thermals ... but wool socks ....

( we try to sail through the winter here at my 'YC' ... tho some yrs we are more successful then others ...)

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree on the wetsuit. For it to work, it has to be wet. I use to Jetski (Standup) just about year round. In the winter, I wold go without ever getting wet above the knee. Yes, I have had a few falls and just say it was not fun (50 degree Air Temps). It would never fail that someone would be fishing and ask "Hey, can you get in and go down and get my fishing rod I dropped..............

"Uh, No"

Wetsuits are ok to help when the air temps are in the mid 60's to mid 70's if you do not get wet, but colder than that, forget it.