Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey just wandering how a mirage drive would work on on the river of Potomac in MD and VA? Is anyone using them especially for fishing. I love river fishing but most of the time not floating and paddling upstream really sucks. Is it any easier in a mirage drive?

Cheers

Greg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I paddle on the southern Potomac, near Piney Point, MD, all of the time in a Pro-Angler. It works great.

Regards,
Rockman 10

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Rockman10 wrote:
I paddle on the southern Potomac, near Piney Point, MD, all of the time in a Pro-Angler. It works great.

Regards,
Rockman 10

Good deal, can you paddle upstream pretty easy and or parts you can not paddle upstream cause of strong current?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My wife and I have been out on the Potomac twice last fall after getting our new Oasis...we did fine although we did not venture far from shore as we were just learning. We plan to cross it this next year.

I have found it helpful to know the tides so you know which way the water will be moving and the low tides also create issues where you have river kelp -- it will snag the mirage drives.

One of our first trip reports is here: http://whitespider.broeking.com/?page_id=40

A Handy tide site is here: http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynamic.dir/potomacsites.html

Obviously the farther up the river the less you need to worry about the tide but still it is a factor all the way to DC. An experienced friend takes his Rev 11 out all the time with no issues.

Bob

Fredericksburg VA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

motobob wrote:
My wife and I have been out on the Potomac twice last fall after getting our new Oasis...we did fine although we did not venture far from shore as we were just learning. We plan to cross it this next year.

I have found it helpful to know the tides so you know which way the water will be moving and the low tides also create issues where you have river kelp -- it will snag the mirage drives.

One of our first trip reports is here: http://whitespider.broeking.com/?page_id=40

A Handy tide site is here: http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynamic.dir/potomacsites.html

Obviously the farther up the river the less you need to worry about the tide but still it is a factor all the way to DC. An experienced friend takes his Rev 11 out all the time with no issues.

Bob

Fredericksburg VA

Thanks Bob good to know

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Like many rivers, the Potomac has many different personalities. The mirage yaks are great, except in shallow rocky situations. I've bent a fin in the DC Potomac. You just gotta be careful and flutter the fins when in shallower waters. In general though, my Revo is great. It's obviously not a whitewater kayak, so I don't recommend going up to great falls with it.