Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

What are the best winds speeds for a regular Hobie Adventure Mirage with the sailing kit? The version without the outriggers? At what wind speeds would you furl or take down the sail and stick with pedals/paddle or stay on land?

How sensitive is the Adventure to gusts-Will it tip over easily?
I can imagine that is is very easy to get it upright and climb aboard again though (compared to most sailing dinghys)?

I live on Malta in the Mediterranean Sea, wondering if it would be a suitable choice here. Now i use a small kayak for surfing and occasionally rent dinghys for sailing solo or with friends.

Regards, MoeJoe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

MoeJoe - Although I am very new with the Adventure (have only sailed 1 time), but I have windsurfed and sailed both small and larger boats enough to give you a brief perspective. My test sail of the Adventure was on a mountain lake where where the winds probably ranged from 0 to about 18 knots, averaging about 10-12, which was ideal for a beam to close reach. Waves very minimal due to a short fetch. When the wind gusted above 12, the mast flexes at the top and spills some of the excess wind, giving me ample time to release the sheet. Above 8kn or so, I began shifting my weight to the windward side to maximize the wind and to avoid having to ease the sheet. I tried to catch a couple of the gust on a broad reach, which was a lot of fun. I look forward to more downwind sailing with a healty breeze.

I realize my experience sailing the Adventure is limited, but I hope this helps. Also, keep reading the community forum. There are a few threads that discuss righting the craft (it is easy without the sail, but I haven't done it yet with the sail).

I am guessing you have fairly steady sea breezes in Malta. Combined with what I would guess is the beautiful waters of the Med, I am evious! The Adventure would be wonderful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes, now during the summer, typically Force 2-6 winds, light to strong breezes. Usually quite steady. Probably often much more than that during the autumn and winter, but I havent experienced that yet, only been here for a few months.. So for example, in conditions like in this picture:

-Would you guys sail or just pedal/paddle the Adventure? Force 6 winds, the day before kayak surfing that Sunday in the IF SOT I flipped over in a Laser Dinghy. So probably a bit tough for sailing the kayak i would guess, but maybe not. Would be cool if it is doable, because then it would be possible to sail through some nice waves.

Anyway, I imagine that the Adventure is a nice "do it all" type of machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:18 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

If I remember correctly, the sail is recommended up to 15 kts (force 4). The kayak's narrow beam, combined with your limited ability to hike out makes it pretty tender. What you can handle would depend a lot on experience though.

In any event, the sail is very fast to set up, easy to use and lots of fun!

I use the Turbofins while sailing, both as a "centerboard" and as a speed enhancer when trying to catch an occasional swell while sailing. The combination works great. Even with the daggerboard you would want to keep them in.

Without the sail you'll find the Adventure to be quite seaworthy. The sailing rudder is a must, however if you want manuverability! It goes great into the wind and sea, slicing through the chop with that long, narrow bow. Downwind, you have to watch out for a tendency to broach if you're riding down swells if it plants its bow.