Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I will be updating my 85 h16 and need new jib traveler cars w/car part #21230000 as the sheaves are worn out. What would be the best option original style or is there something updated? Thanks in advance, Hal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would really recommend this upgrade. I did this with my '72 Hobie and the difference is so appreciated as I don't need to have my crew or myself go up on the leeward side to adjust the traveler. The cleats are also a lot better as they unsnap by flicking up instead of down as they did on my original travelers.

http://www.murrays.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=01-3120&Category_Code=C-MO-T&Store_Code=MS

If you don't have the swivel cleats that this upgrade would re-purpose like I did then you can use these items do the same job for less.

http://www.murrays.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=01-0112&Category_Code=C-MO-C&Store_Code=MS
and
http://www.murrays.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MS&Product_Code=21-5004&Category_Code=C-MO-C

2010 NACRA Infusion
2004 F18 Hobie Tiger - SOLD
Hobie 16 - BREAKPOINT - SOLD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just drilled out the sheaves and replaced them for about 10 bucks each. Harken makes a ball bearing sheave I picked up at West Marine. Replace the rivets with clevis pins.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This looks interesting and I really like the idea of being able to move the jib cars more easily as I pretty much always go solo. But I don't understand the photo on Murrays site. It looks like the hard line pulls the car towards the outside of the boat while the shock cord pulls it towards the inside. Isn't this backwards? It seems like a gust of wind would just blow the car to the outside, stretching the shock cord and loosening the jib. What am I missing?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When you sheet in the jib wherever the traveler is set the tension on the lines prevents it from moving outward. I installed "low profile" travelers in original tracks and outhaul cleats. I did not add the bungee to pull it back in and it works fine.