Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Parts for my Bravo...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I need to order some spare parts for my Bravo. Mainly the lower block setup for the mainsheet. Not sure if mine is the newer or older style. Any help here?
This is what I have rigged up now.
The boat has been more or less sitting for the winter and I want to get it ready for the spring. I also need to replace a few hatch seals and the plugs for the hull.

Can we order directly through Hobie or does anyone have any feedback on ordering through other retailers? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stephen Outten
ElCaminoBlues.Blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Stephen,

That's the older style rudder for the Bravo. You can order parts, but you'll have to do it through a local dealer.

The link below will take you to a dealer finder function of the Hobie Website.

http://www.hobiecat.com/support/dealers/search/

Good luck on getting your boat ready for the summer!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:39 am 
Site Admin

The cable is 90700011 WIRE BRAVO MAINSHEET ATTACHMENT

http://www.hobiecat.com/support/products/bravo/

http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/Bravo_Parts.pdf

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

matt can I order that through hobie or do i have to contact a dealer?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know I'm not Matt, but you will have to order through a dealer. That's why Matt didn't correct my previous post. Your question has been asked numerous times over the years, and the Hobie guys always give the same answer. They back their dealers 100%

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

excellent i think i misread your post. thank you very much

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You can order the part from Hobie using your local dealer or an online dealer, but my experience is that it will likely just break again. If you look around the forum you will find many cases of this exact failure on the early Bravo. Personally I replaced it 3X averaging about 3 hours of sailing in fairly heavy winds per failure before I had enough and redesigned the thing.

I can send you photos of the redesign if you would like to post them up here as I have not gotten around to setting up an account that will host photos.

Basically, you need something that can flex below the block. If flex happens in the cable where it meets the hard end the cable will break in short order. I replaced the hard end that goes into the block with a stainless 1/4-20 eye bolt (from McMaster), and ran the cable through the eye with a thimble (also McMaster) and then swaged it. For the cable, I bought a lanyard (also from McMaster) with the correct back end already swaged on. I reused the black plastic jacket from one of the many broken parts I had on hand. It's a little pricy (perhaps 2x or 3x what the Hobie part costs) but I have something like 30 hours of sailing time on it with no sign of any trouble, and I suspect it will last the life of the boat.

This is my second version of the fix. The first version used about $6 in hardware from the TrueValue and lasted about 20 hours of sailing time, before the salt water finally killed it. Not bad, might have lasted a lot longer with better quality parts ($25?). I also have photos of that.

There were still other things I don't really like about the mainsheet system, so I have made some other changes as well. Plus I upgraded to the later double pulley block for easier operation and built myself a complete spare main sheet system with old the parts, which I keep in the front hatch in case of failure. Quick and easy to change out the whole thing on the water if anything fails.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I still have one for sale
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=14016