Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leak from seat post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am hoping someone can answer my question here. I have a Revo and the seat post hole has cracked allowing water to enter the kayak. Granted it's not a ton of water but it does leak enough that anything not stored in a dry bag gets soaked. This usually only happens when I am sailing the yak and taking allot of splash water into the cockpit. Hobie stepped up and replaced my hull the last time this happened so I don't expect them to replace it again. ( although that would be nice ) :) What I'm hoping for is a solution to the leak. I have ordered an after market seat as the Hobie seat lacks the support I need and the new seat will not use the seat post holes. I'm thinking of just filling the cracked hole with "something" to seal the leak (provided the new seat works and is more comfortable than the old Hobie seat. I still wish they would come up with an adaptation to fit the pro-angler seat in their other yaks but I guess it's not a high priority.) Does anyone have any suggestions on what may work to fill the hole and actually seal the crack too? Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Post subject: Re: Leak from seat post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not sure the PA seat is really going to work very well in a kayak type craft, but that's beside the point of your post I guess.

If you were to fill the seat post bore with GOOP you will have a leak proof seal. It might be more appropriate to heat weld any crack just in case you might want to use the bore at some future point. However, if you know for sure you won't, pouring in GOOP will do what you want.

Be advised that you may have to do this in layers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The seat post crack is easily fixed:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=25029
I think Hobie have come up with an upgrade kit as well that allows you to fit the new style bayonet seat fitting. It includes the pvc cap and epoxy. I don't know the Part# but your dealer should be able to get it in.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Do those new seat posts fit on the older model seats?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks to all who have replied. Once I get my new seat and try it out I will then decide how I want to attack the problem. IE: goop it up or do the seat post repair thing. It's good to know there is a fix that will allow repair and still use the seat post. I still cannot say enough good things about these yaks. I have put mine through some pretty tough environments from log strewn fast flowing rivers to open ocean swells and she's held up very nicely. I am still amazed after many years of use by the number of people who still are not aware of what these kayaks are and how they work. I still educate people on a daily basis as to how great they really are. I'm sure most Hobie owners have the same stories to tell.

Just want to say thanks Hobie for a great time on the water and a good product that you stand behind.