Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Slipping Mast Pieces
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A fellow TI owner visited me today on the way back from a day of sailing. We were talking about various things related to the TI and he commented that his mast pieces wouldn’t stay tight - something about them slipping and the sail getting a twist in it every time he furled it. I think I remember reading here from some others with a similar problem.

We took the sail out and pulled the mast. The pieces were bottomed out against each other and there was a “knock” when the mast was held in both hands and given a good shake.

The masts on the AI and TI are joined with what is known as a “spigot ferrule.” Although somewhat ancient in terms of modern integral ferrules, it serves this particular purpose on this particular application perfectly well. However, spigot ferrules are designed so that the pieces should come tight before they bottom out against each other. If they bottom out before coming tight, the required taper friction between the parts will not be sufficient to keep the mating parts from easily slipping on each other. The pieces should come tight before bottoming out, which allows the mating tapers to obtain the maximum amount of contact with each other and allows for future wear.

Once I assured him that I had a “little” bit of knowledge on the subject, we took the female mast section inside and removed about 3/16th inch from the end with a stationary disk sander. Re-joining the parts the spigot can now move further into the female section and the pieces come tight before bottoming out. The result is that his mast pieces will no longer spin or turn on each other.

One last thing - When joining the sections, note the downhaul attachment on the furling drum and the slot on the top of the mast. misalign them by 90 degrees and bring them together. When they begin to come tight, twist them into alignment with some force. This is the proper procedure for joining glass and carbon ferrules of any sort. It locks the pieces in place (provided they are properly fitted to begin with).

While I’m not sure this is overly critical on a sailboat mast, it will indeed stop the pieces from slipping on each other. My friend appeared pleased, and relieved.

Post subject: Re: Slipping Mast Pieces
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I join together a new mast, I also use a piece of Duct-tape to cover the seam. On some of my early boats without the tape, the sail wore at the joint from rubbing which with the Duct-tape it doesn't do.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A very light coat of epoxy on the male side would also solve this issue without messing up the taper and without having to cut anything

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The proper way to fit a ferrule is cutting the offending section, not applying a coating to any of the mating parts. Although the latter may seem less severe, it is not a permanent solution to the problem. The former, is.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check the mast tip and the furling drum. Quite a few people have had glue joint fail on the furling drum and I have had the joint fail on my mast tip. I couldn't tell that it was spinning until I actually removed the sail and gripped it gently with pliers. Prior to gluing the tip, I had taped and then epoxied the mast sections together. Shame I didn't check the tip more thoroughly because the ferrule was not at fault.

But Tom, you know about this since it was your suggestions that explained better glue joints on epoxy.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=40619

Cheers,

J

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You're absolutely correct - a furling drum that's come loose from the mast will also cause slipping if not complete furling inability. It shouldn't put a twist in the sail, however, as neither section of the mast turns if the drum slips.

And it's always possible that a few boats could suffer from both maladies at the same time. These are just some minor issues that it pays to keep an eye on. In fact, while I haven't had any slipping or twist problem thus far, I need to take a look at my mast tip, just in case. Thanks for the reminder.

As we've all heard, PPPPPP.