Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro Angler Cover
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just bought a Kayak Cover that is suppose to be used for the Pro Angler. It semi fits ........ it will cover only about 3" down the side at the widest point and the center strap is not long enough to reach the clip on the other side.

I guess I don't understand why Hobie's most expensive Yak seems to always be treated like the bastard child. No rear mount for the evolve and the cover doesn't fit. I love the PA but it is frustrating when the accessories are not being made for them.

Also, can the covers be used as a travel cover meaning designed to be left on while transporting?

Post subject: Re: Pro Angler Cover
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Memory Maker wrote:
I guess I don't understand why Hobie's most expensive Yak seems to always be treated like the bastard child. No rear mount for the evolve and the cover doesn't fit. I love the PA but it is frustrating when the accessories are not being made for them.

Also, can the covers be used as a travel cover meaning designed to be left on while transporting?

I hear your frustration with the cover, I'm not sure what's happening there. We'd all like to see more accessories for our boats, but to say that accessories aren't being made for the PA seems like quite the stretch. Hobie makes more accessories for their boats than any other kayak maker that I know, and the Pro Angler probably has the most extensive line of compatible accessories out of any boat in the Hobie line-up.

As far as traveling with the cover on, that's not usually recommended. Most people that travel with covers on their boats find that the cover either gets ruined over time, or the boat takes excessive wear from the cover flapping etc. The boat can handle wind and rain. Most road dirt can easily be cleaned from the hull. I would remove the seat and any other gear, and leave the hull as bare as possible while transporting.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ok ....... then please tell me the accesories that are made for the PA. They seem to be made for the others and the PA is included as an afterthought.

The Evolve can only be used as a Mirage drive replacement whereas the Revo and the Outback have the attachment to the twist and stow ........ they don't build a rear mount for the PA. As noted, the cover doesn't fit.

Yes, Hobie makes some fine accessories and I have most of them ....... but the PA always seems to get the handme downs .......

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Location: Straits,outside of Beaufort, close to Harkers Island
i just spent the weekend working the Raleigh nc boat show. i had a photo of my outback in the back of the booth requesting yakers that i needed a PA12AND PA 14 for patterns to make trailerable boat covers. if anybody is close to Beaufort NC and wants a freebie in exchange for letting me pattern their PA send me a PM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, the Evolve mount only works with the twist and stow rudder system at this time. That means that it won't work with the current Pro Angler's rudder, the Tandem Island's rudder, the Adventure Island's rudder, or any of the i9S, i12S, or i14T inflatable boats either. You raise a good point, that people looking at those boats, and the eVolve system should be aware of before they purchase.

But as far as the other accessories, I'm not sure why it matters that the accessories built for one boat also happen to work for the others. That makes good business sense to me, and helps keep the cost down for all of us Hobie owners.

The PA line-up was built to be accessorized. There aren't many accessories that won't work on that boat. I just think it's important to be fair and accurate, and I just feel it isn't fair to say that the accessories made for the PA are often an afterthought.

Many of the accessories were designed before the PA ever came into existence. It's going to take time for Hobie to build up all of the accessories, but I think in the few years that these boats have been out, Hobie is doing a more than competitive job.

The PA has also innovated accessories that trickled down to the other boats. The PA's were the first to have hatch liners, the Outback and Getaway sailboat are now getting the square hatches that first launched on the PA's. The seats of the PA are completely unique and you often hear of people with Adventure Islands, and Tandem Islands that would like a similar set up.

The whole lineup of Hobie boats benefit from the other boats in the company. In some cases, the PA will get the accessories first, in others it will see accessories when the rest of the lineup sees them. That's just the way it works.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ok ....... first, where was I not fair and accurate and second you didn't answer my question. You talked around it.

The PA has been around since 2009 (I think) and it is on the second design and it is the flag ship of the Yaks (most expensive). You would think that the cover that is listed for the PA would actually fit. That's not too much to ask.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Aside from the TwistStow rudder mount for the Evolve, tell me what accessories (Hobie or aftermarket) aren't available for the PA? How can the "after thought" accessories be made Hobie specific.

P.S. I would never travel with a cover on my kayak/boat for lots of reasons.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here are the accessories for the Hobie Kayak line. You'll see that most have some version that works with the Pro Angler, and if you take time to study it, you'll find that the Pro Angler is probably the best boat in the line-up for accessories to be mounted on it.

http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/International-KayakFall12.pdf

The most expensive Kayaks in the lineup are actually the Tandem Island, Adventure Island, with the Oasis and Pro Angler's virtually tied, but I'll agree that the Pro Angler is a flagship boat for Hobie. No questions about that.

As far as your cover, I'm in complete agreement with you. If it doesn't fit, then there seems to be a problem, it should be addressed.

I only disagreed with your statement that accessories are an afterthought for the Pro Angler. For several reasons, (as listed above) I disagree with that statement.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have studied it ........ apparently you haven't.

I owned one of the first PA off the line and now I own 2 other PA's and I own most of the accessories so I am very well schooled on the accessories that I need. You still didn't answer the question. I gave you 2 examples of the after thoughts ....... you only gave a link to the accessories page and suggested I read it.

Oh and the Adventure and the other 1 are sailboats and the Oasis is a 2 man yak.

The Revo, Outback and the PA are all considered the same class of Yaks by every Yak and Yak fishing forum that I know here in the states and I'm part of a bunch of them.

I guess we will agree to disagree

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Cabelas had a camo colored jon boat cover last year that someone else on this board posted about. I got one for my PA12 and it works perfectly. Straps and buckles pull the cover tight to the hull. Keeps the pine needles and critters out very nicely when at camp. Also keeps rain out, to a point....too much rain and the cover begins to sag, puddle and seep but that could probably be avoided by a little better rigging to keep it high in the middle to provide for better runoff.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If the hobie cover sucks return it and get this one:

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=41407&p=169331&hilit=Cabela%27s#p169331

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thats the one I got. Works very well!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Maybe I will .......... I've been a big supporter of Hobie and their products and I like seeing the Big Hobie letters on the side .......... just hate the feeling that I'm paying premium prices for hand me downs that don't fit ........ those covers go for over $150 and are well made as opposed to the $50 Cabelas one ..... the book lists them as made for the PA as well as the other models but the strap won't even reach .........

Ok .... finished my rant ......

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Memory Maker,

We hear your pain. I am not interested in a cover but if I was and I bought one from Hobie I would expect it to fit. Hopefully someone form Hobie is listening!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:15 pm 
Site Admin

Lunker1 wrote:
Hopefully someone form Hobie is listening!

Covers are not our design, but logo'ed for us. I have been pretty happy with their quality and adjust-ability for fit. All of the covers (as described in the catalog) are universal fit. Note that the one that fits the Pro Angler also fits 4-5 other models. If the belly strap is not long enough, it is an older version and your dealer can get you an extension strap for it. The material is good quality and said to handle transport. Personally, I would not. If not properly fit, you will wear a cover out traveling at Highway speed.

As far as specific accessories we designed and built for the Pro Angler: Dodger, Stand Up Bar, Anchor Trolley Kits, Trailer Cradles, Beach Dollies.

Most models don't have specific add-ons and most of the other accessories we offer can be used on a Pro Angler.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)