Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey everyone.....just thought I'd first post on here to say hello, and thank you for all the useful info I have already followed on here. Just bought an '84 14T in great shape. She will need a few things for sure....but that's only because I want her to be almost factory new. He list so far is:

-jib (just the sail)
-baby bob
-re-rig with all new ropes
-bushes for the rudders (casting seems loose around the main pins)

That's it so far without getting totally anal and compounding the hulls to get them crazy shiny. She already is in fantastic shape.....but would like her the finest vessel on the lake if I could!! Any sailors on here live in North Carolina? Looking to get someone to sail with me and look her over to see whatever else I may need. Can't wait to be a part of this community!! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Look under the Hobie Racing section of this Forum and click on the Division 9 link. That's where sailors from NC, SC, GA and East TN are communicating.

About your H-14 - I'd reconsider the bob. The 14 is easy to right solo. The boat is very weight sensitive, and that's just extra that you don't need. Actually, all that weight at the end of a 23' long mast will make your boat more prone to capsize in the first place.

Unless you know that the standing rigging (stainless steel shrouds, forestay and bridle wires) have been replaced within the last five years, and I bet they haven't, you should replace them as well as your trapeze wires. Demasting would be much worse than capsizing.

Once you have your boat all nice and shiney, you ought to consider applying Poly Glow to the decks (the top part of each hull - don't get the decks confused with the trampoline). It will make that new shine even brighter and protect it from UV. Although it goes on nice and smooth, I wouldn't put it on the lower portions of the hull, I think it would increase friction as you go through the water. The decks typically get more UV exposure anyway.

On another note, you ought to try to make it to a regatta after you get your boat fixed up. If you read through the Division 9 section, you'll see several mentioned that some of us plan to attend.

Keep us posted on your progress. Hope to see you on the water soon.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks so much for the info!! I can't even wait to get this thing in the water. I do want a quick "check out" on her because she isn't like the other boats I've sailed....and to be honest....I think I'll be fine, but just want that extra shot of confidence with her is all. Where does everyone buy replacement parts? Just from a Hobie dealer....or is there a secret spot that has all the rigging? Thanks!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MVD wrote:
About your H-14 - I'd reconsider the bob. The 14 is easy to right solo. The boat is very weight sensitive, and that's just extra that you don't need. Actually, all that weight at the end of a 23' long mast will make your boat more prone to capsize in the first place.

MVD: Does your H-14 not try to turtle almost instantly when you capsize? My daughter's does. Mast is clean (inside and out) and sealed well. The boat is easy for me to right at 180 lbs, but not for my daughter at 120. Also, our reservoir is shallow, so , if you do turtle and the mast gets stuck on the muddy bottom, power assistance is required. For all these reasons, I actually added a bob!

Jock: You will often get conflicting experiences/advice on these forums. There's usually not a universal right or wrong....just take it all in and figure out what works for you!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks.....I appreciate all insight! My lake is pretty deep......but Im just trying to prevent it from turtling when I start getting better and start flying it on one hull. Just so I can get back up quick and get sailing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On second thought, maybe the Bob isn't such a bad idea, especially for a newbie. My habit is to climb up and grab the dolphin striker and then the righting line quickly to keep it from turtling. I've only been over on the 14 once but it didn't start to turtle "instantly" although it was heading that direction and probably would have had I been a little slower.

Keep me honest.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MVD wrote:
Keep me honest.

MVD: You're one of the most honest people I know!!! Like I said, it's not a true/false proposition.

I'm sure that, if I were more nimble and had better technique, I could do better. However, that can be very difficult under some capsize conditions (stormy, large waves, cold water, etc.). And I just wanted to be extra careful with my daughter.

Jock: If you don't want to drop the coin on a bob until you're sure, a couple of well-sealed gallon OJ jugs attached to the main halyard shackle (attaches to head of mainsail) will work just fine. Looks a little goofy, but works fine!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well....I doubt I'll have the winds just yet to be able to turtle her on my lake.....but I'm just trying to prepare for the future when the winds do start blowing, and I start trapezing!! That and when I want to take her to the ocean! The bob isn't that expensive (baby bob at least)...so I'm not going to want to skimp there when it could prove a better session with her. Are the bobs hollow or filled with foam? I'm seeing if I can run an LED in there to light up at dusk and at night. Just for looks because I don't need lights by law down here on a hull of 14 feet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bobs are hollow. At least the Baby Bob is.

Cool idea. I'd love to see what a glowing bob looks like gliding across my bay on a dark night. I'm guessing it would get the neighbors looking.