Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Improved tillers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi,

I've noticed on several occasions that the tiller arm is too short, that the tiller can turned a full ninety degrees and not fully turn the rudder. A longer tiller arm should allow full use of the rudder but a longer tiller will be needed to compensate for the increased leverage of the longer tiller arm.

the copper tube is filled with epoxy and increases the strength of the joint between the carbon fiber tube and the stainless tiller arm. nylon washers fit between the spring and boat and between the boat and the locking pin.

the zip ties are merely insurance, the loops in the rudder line are too small to be removed

I lengthened the tiller by drilling down the center and inserting a length of carbon fiber rod.

I can turn the rudder lock to lock with ninety degrees of tiller movement instead of 180 degrees. This will allow for some stretching of the rudder line and still maintain control.

cheers,

j

the TI3 rear ama mod

Post subject: Re: Improved tillers
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I posted the quote below when you originally made reference to this mod ... forgive me for posting it again, but, just last nite I performed minor surgery on myself to remove a carbon splinter in my palm - not fun.

Quote:
kayakman - whilst I like your mods, I cant let it go without saying ... Im shuddering with the thought of that carbon fiber rod splintering at the end and sending shards into your hand or other body part. At the least, I'd suggest a length of heat-shrink tubing over it protruding past the end by a good 1/4 inch

... or at the very least a good few wraps of everyman's favorite remedy - Duct tape. You could also wick cyanoacrylate glue (crazy glue) but I dont think that would be permanent

You responded by replying the carbon rod was coated in epoxy and that you would further cover it with some nice knot tying work.

For those not familiar with Carbon Fiber rod, when cut, the ends can fray easily and "splinter" just like wood but the carbon splinters can be quite alot smaller than wood and more difficult to remove.

Also please note carbon dust is no fun to work around - eye and respiratory protection are most necessary

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Carbon fiber shares a lot of characteristics with asbestos. So do several naturally-occurring minerals, but the EPA will never declare one as "asbestos" (there are currently six recognized types) for political reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PassWind wrote:
I posted the quote below when you originally made reference to this mod ... forgive me for posting it again, but, just last nite I performed minor surgery on myself to remove a carbon splinter in my palm - not fun.

Quote:
kayakman - whilst I like your mods, I cant let it go without saying ... Im shuddering with the thought of that carbon fiber rod splintering at the end and sending shards into your hand or other body part. At the least, I'd suggest a length of heat-shrink tubing over it protruding past the end by a good 1/4 inch

... or at the very least a good few wraps of everyman's favorite remedy - Duct tape. You could also wick cyanoacrylate glue (crazy glue) but I dont think that would be permanent

You responded by replying the carbon rod was coated in epoxy and that you would further cover it with some nice knot tying work.

For those not familiar with Carbon Fiber rod, when cut, the ends can fray easily and "splinter" just like wood but the carbon splinters can be quite alot smaller than wood and more difficult to remove.

Also please note carbon dust is no fun to work around - eye and respiratory protection are most necessary

I absolutely agree on all counts. I had knotwork on it the before the first sail, just never took a picture of it.

Of all the materials I have worked with and built with, carbon is one of my least favorites. Definitely wet cutting in the future.

j

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just slide a shrink tubing over the carbon rod , let it overhang a little bit at the end and heat it up.....That will take care of any splinters and if you dont feel safe, put a second one over ...;0)

Oups, sorry, just found out someone already talked about it in earlier post....sorry..;0)