Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Questions for all who have the hobie sidekick amas - the inflatable type. Can you stand in the yak, I mean how stable are they? When you sail, do you have them in the high position? Are they a drag under sail or out of the water? Do they last? Please tell me, I'm curious cuz I want amas, just not sure if their the best solution. I have a 2006 AI with the mirage pedals and small sail.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You have 3 positions available.

1. Down. If I was going to stand I'd put them in this position.

2. Level. This is also an option for standing but you'll get a bit of lean. It does tend to keep them out of the water while paddling.

3. Up. Best position I've found for sailing as it allows the boat to heel a bit before the pontoons start pushing water.

It only takes a few seconds to change positions.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I also have a 2006 Adventure with Sidekicks and the Hobie sail kit. Standing is no problem in the lower position. Only level place to stand in the Adventure is on the hatch cover, which is a drag.

Don't know how long they will last, just look out for fish hooks.

They will drag when sailing. If you want to really lean the yak, take them off.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom Kirkman wrote:
You have 3 positions available.

1. Down. If I was going to stand I'd put them in this position.

2. Level. This is also an option for standing but you'll get a bit of lean. It does tend to keep them out of the water while paddling.

3. Up. Best position I've found for sailing as it allows the boat to heel a bit before the pontoons start pushing water.

It only takes a few seconds to change positions.

Thank you for the response. Sounds like I'll get them and set them in the up position for sailing. So that if the boat heels a lot, the amas will slow/stabilize the boat, and I won't go over hopefully.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Awesome, are they easy to remove/mount?
dregsfan wrote:
I also have a 2006 Adventure with Sidekicks and the Hobie sail kit. Standing is no problem in the lower position. Only level place to stand in the Adventure is on the hatch cover, which is a drag.

Don't know how long they will last, just look out for fish hooks.

They will drag when sailing. If you want to really lean the yak, take them off.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought mine early 2008 for fishing & sailing a Revo & I haven't noticed any leaks. I use them mainly when fishing in snotty winds especially when alone. I have since bought other Hobies & except for the AI, I put the mounting bar on all of them so I can put the Sidekicks on any. I also put a backing inside the Hobies so I could bolt thru instead of using the Rubber nuts that come with the bar/bracket. This allows me to use it as a handle when used in addition to a regular handle bolted just in front of the 8"hatch. It provides a much more balanced lift. I like the Sidekicks a lot & really don't understand why they are not more popular, even though most times they stay in the car. It's just good to have the option when I'm loading gear in the kayak & conditions are not ideal.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I also put a backing inside the Hobies so I could bolt thru instead of using the Rubber nuts that come with the bar/bracket.

Would you mind posting a pic of your setup, so I can do the same? Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the amas on my Oasis tandem. I leave them in the up position all the time otherwise they drag too much under sail in heavy winds. My friend with an ama kit had his crossbar tear off the kayak last week, but the wind was probably 15mph and they're really not designed for that much. He cannot get his hands inside the kayak to place a backing plate so has to rely on the rubber grommet nut thingies. He reseated the brackets using a marine sealant in addition to the grommets.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I wanted to update my query. I've had the inflatable amas for 2 or 3 months now. I love them. They make the yak so much more stable. I have not tried to stand in the yak, but I sail all the time, even in winds gusting 15 tp 20 mphs. More than that, I wouldn't dare. But they do make the yak so much more stable. Last time I went out in heavy winds, I was heading into the wind, with 1 to 2 foot seas. I had the sail down since I was heading directly into the wind and used the peddles. But with the amas, I felt completely safe (mostly), in the heavy winds.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How big of waves can you go out in with the amas. ... we have three to five foot waves with some six-footers in there I'd like to go out but I don't want to dump my boat the channel is very dangerous do you think with the stabilizers I'd be alright

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

phillyg wrote:
I have the amas on my Oasis tandem. I leave them in the up position all the time otherwise they drag too much under sail in heavy winds. My friend with an ama kit had his crossbar tear off the kayak last week, but the wind was probably 15mph and they're really not designed for that much. He cannot get his hands inside the kayak to place a backing plate so has to rely on the rubber grommet nut thingies. He reseated the brackets using a marine sealant in addition to the grommets.

The sailing kit may not be designed for 15mph wind but it's still a lot of fun at 25 or 30 :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rz3li-RZLI

I bent my mast on this outing and broke my crossbar in surf on another. I have the amas in the down position here, since then I have reinforced the mast, moved the amas to the upper position and stay away from surf!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A friend took my Revolution 13 out with the AMAs and managed to capsize it, getting back in he knocked one of the retaining clips off, the float subsequently came off a few minutes later so he capsized again!

I found the clips were very easy to un clip so have replaced them with much stiffer ones. Otherwise the system seems to work well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I will add that I wrapped some duct tape on the tube where they slide on to stifle their tendency to rotate and constantly drag a tip.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

https://vimeo.com/141254788

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice gentle video to end the day. Thanks, SkyMax, I needed that. Think I will add the ama kit to my bag of tricks.