Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Surfing the A.I...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:52 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:45 pm
Posts: 218
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Surfing an A.I. (matcoburn, not me!) - the nose-cone proves its worth!

http://youtu.be/VqdQL90sDVo

(Can't figure out the YouTube posting format, so the url will have to do!)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Surfing the A.I...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:52 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:20 pm
Posts: 273
Location: London UK
Did you make the nose cone? if so can you give us some pointers!

Cc

_________________
May the odds be ever in your favor..
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Surfing the A.I...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:47 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:18 pm
Posts: 288
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
I am more interested on how he did the mast camera mount. I have tried a few times. Too unsteady...

_________________
Paul
DogsLife
2011 Adventure Island


http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Nose-Cone?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:43 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:07 pm
Posts: 397
Location: CLEARWATER, MN
I have been trying to track down a nose-cone for my TI for several years.
It appears that nose-cones are an Australia-only product! I have never found any manufacturer-importer that carries a TI nose-cone in the US.
Hobie doesn't seem to want to carry them (warranty-problem perhaps?).
The video shows the typical spray deflection...without the hassle of strapping fabric spray shields on the bow, etc.
I would think with the number of Adventure Islands in the US, there would be enough of a market to justify importing them.

I guess there is not enough entrepreneurial spirit left in the US for a plastics firm to design and build units. With 3D printers becoming so common...you would think someone would whip out a plastics mold for one. A friend and I are thinking about buying a 3D printer to construct low-run items. I was told that making a plastic injection mold was about 99% of the cost to make an item.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Surfing the A.I...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:18 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:29 pm
Posts: 1991
Location: High Point, NC
You'd be right about that. The whole thing about injection molding is that you have to balance the expected number of unit sales against the initial tooling cost. Even if the tooling was very expensive, if you break it down over hundreds of thousand of sales you end up with pennies per item involved. However, if you only end up selling a few hundred of an item, each one could cost you hundreds of dollars.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nose-Cone?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:03 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:32 am
Posts: 1773
Location: Calga NSW, Australia
TIDALWAVE wrote:
The video shows the typical spray deflection...without the hassle of strapping fabric spray shields on the bow, etc.


In my experience, most of the spray comes from the leeward front aka, not from the bow, so I don't know if a nose-cone would completely obviate the need for sprayshields.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Surfing the A.I...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:49 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:45 pm
Posts: 218
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Chopcat wrote:
Did you make the nose cone? if so can you give us some pointers!

Not mine, unfortunately. Mat Coburn in the owner of the A.I. in the video. He managed to find that nose cone in a local (Melbourne) kayak shop about 4 years ago. He modified it slightly to fit.

He does a lot of open-water, expedition-style trip and reckons it makes a huge difference to the A.I. I know I want one!

Mat, if you're on this forum, perhaps you could chip-in, as you're the man!

Cheers,

Mike.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Surfing the A.I...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:25 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 2:31 pm
Posts: 2659
Location: Kailua 96734
I totally agree with your point Chris, the spray skirts are a godsend and really not there to prevent nose dives. A wave deflector or a new bow profile is what's needed for that.

In this case, surfing, the deflector is the godsend. I would love to have both, and could have used them today.

Btw, KBobs skirts are painless to install and deploy.

So 2 thumbs up for Mat Coburn and KBob. And 1 for Mingle. Nice video find!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Surfing the A.I...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:09 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:11 am
Posts: 40
Mike.....if i stumble over another.....its yours..... :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Surfing the A.I...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:42 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:11 am
Posts: 40
Tom Kirkman wrote:
You'd be right about that. The whole thing about injection molding is that you have to balance the expected number of unit sales against the initial tooling cost. Even if the tooling was very expensive, if you break it down over hundreds of thousand of sales you end up with pennies per item involved. However, if you only end up selling a few hundred of an item, each one could cost you hundreds of dollars.


Maybe Tom in the future Hobie will pop a wave deflector at the front of a new model similar to the adventure island and place a bit more camber in the Hull and a higher seat position like the Revo. Ahhhh just another avenue to drop another 4K down!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Surfing the A.I...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:26 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:41 pm
Posts: 175
Location: Aussie living in San Diego, CA
matttcoburn wrote:
Tom Kirkman wrote:
You'd be right about that. The whole thing about injection molding is that you have to balance the expected number of unit sales against the initial tooling cost. Even if the tooling was very expensive, if you break it down over hundreds of thousand of sales you end up with pennies per item involved. However, if you only end up selling a few hundred of an item, each one could cost you hundreds of dollars.


Maybe Tom in the future Hobie will pop a wave deflector at the front of a new model similar to the adventure island and place a bit more camber in the Hull and a higher seat position like the Revo. Ahhhh just another avenue to drop another 4K down!



Hey Matt and NoHuHu - this may be closer than you think. I was doing a tour of the Hobie Factory today ( a benefit of living in Southern California) and One little snippet I managed to squeeze out of the Hobie team was that they are currently testing a wave deflector for the AI and TI that will be able to be retro-fitted when released - THAT is great news! When asked about timing all they would say is "its not ready yet"

Barry

_________________
Life is the Journey - not the Destination
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Surfing the A.I...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:55 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:45 pm
Posts: 218
Location: Melbourne, Australia
aussieonyak wrote:
... they are currently testing a wave deflector for the AI and TI that will be able to be retro-fitted when released


That's good news Barry...

I was just about to plonk down $100 on a Spirit wave deflector...

Is suspect the Hobie version will cost more $$$, but at least it'll be purpose-made.

Hopefully the release date will be sooner rather than later!

Cheers,

Mike.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Surfing the A.I...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:24 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 2:31 pm
Posts: 2659
Location: Kailua 96734
I'll take mine in manly RED, thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Surfing the A.I...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:31 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:21 pm
Posts: 2227
Location: Maui, Hawaii
NOHUHU wrote:
I'll take mine in manly RED, thanks!

But it will clash with your PINK hull! :twisted:

_________________
Image
http://KayakingBob.com - - - - - Hobie Island Sailing since 2006 - - - - - 2011 & 2012 Hobie AIs and a 2012 TI


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Surfing the A.I...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:29 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 2:31 pm
Posts: 2659
Location: Kailua 96734
Yes, butt I plan to use it as a battering ram! :twisted:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group