Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great trip report from the past! Bob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

After some renewed interest in this old trip report, it prompted me to re-read and re-experience the sense of adventure and challenge I found so rewarding when I first set out on this trip back in August 2009. I found myself geting excited again and eager to return to this setting - embark on another adventure - and share another story - to test the Hobie Adventures (and my mettle) again in a remote, beautiful, and unforgiving environment. What would I do? Where would I go? Who would I go with? As it turns out - a clue was already available in the old trip report itself - in the plaque created to honour James McOuat (pronounced "McHewitt") near where he drowned in his fishing netting - at his castle on White Otter Lake many years ago.

"Roofing and windows were hauled in across fifteen portages from Ignace". I was left wondering what this must have felt like for the enigmatic hermit of White Otter Lake. About 25 miles (40 kms) of paddling and portages - carrying roofing and window materials across 15 stretches of rough, undulating land between countless lakes. The same portages he traversed almost 100 years ago. I am aware that this won't be easy. But rarely are the most fulfilling and satisfying adventures found along the most easily traveled routes. What did he see? What did he experience? I need to know - and I intend to find out.

So this summer I plan to re-trace his route with my two Hobie Adventure kayaks. I anticipate using a large-wheeled and durable cart to haul the kayaks over the rough land from lake to lake. Currently the front runner is this one:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Paddling/CarRacksCarts/PRD~4015-488/wck-expedition-canoe-cart.jsp

This is what the trek looks like beginning at Ignace (Agimak Lake) from the north, all the way to White Otter Castle to the south. Most of the portages are short. However, the longest one is about 1/3rd of a mile (600 m) in length.

The route is part of Turtle River Provincial Park and includes numerous remote campsites along the way.

So look out for the follow-up to this trip report in the summer of 2013. I'm thinking of calling it something like: "What Did Jimmy See?: 25 Miles and 15 Portages - Do It Like McOuat"

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Now that's an adventure. I'd guess that much of the countryside there hasn't changed in the past 100 years.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom Kirkman wrote:
Now that's an adventure. I'd guess that much of the countryside there hasn't changed in the past 100 years.

Hi Tom - the lakes and shoreline appear to be completely untouched. And in general, the further north you travel - the truer your comment becomes. However, as you can see from the Google Earth images, there has been some logging activity in some sections (tan coloured areas) nearby which is unfortunate. Still - the wonderful thing about portages is that they naturally limit access. It would be hard to access these areas without a kayak, canoe, or float-plane. So I still suspect the level of solitude along the route will be welcoming.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'Day Mike....been a while.
Since the introduction of the TI and problems with it's weight on scupper carts, dolly carts, where the hull is supported on a cradle are now recommended. It might be worthwhile for you to browse the Island transport forums and look at some of the dolly cart ideas there.
SunEsailor developed one using the trailer cradles and others (including me) have come up with similar designs. I'm thinking the AI trailer cradles cut down to hull width and used as a cradle with a HD Cart (much like Hobie's new TI cart cradle) might be a good option for you. I've been using the Tuff wheels and it looks like they will last forever! I've got around 700km on them now and they still look like new. I couldn't go back to pneumatic tyres now. I got a couple of flats on my previous tyres which left me exhausted trying to complete my commute. Dragging even an empty Adventure on a cart with a flat tyre is no fun.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

stringy wrote:
G'Day Mike....been a while.
Since the introduction of the TI and problems with it's weight on scupper carts, dolly carts, where the hull is supported on a cradle are now recommended. It might be worthwhile for you to browse the Island transport forums and look at some of the dolly cart ideas there.
SunEsailor developed one using the trailer cradles and others (including me) have come up with similar designs. I'm thinking the AI trailer cradles cut down to hull width and used as a cradle with a HD Cart (much like Hobie's new TI cart cradle) might be a good option for you. I've been using the Tuff wheels and it looks like they will last forever! I've got around 700km on them now and they still look like new. I couldn't go back to pneumatic tyres now. I got a couple of flats on my previous tyres which left me exhausted trying to complete my commute. Dragging even an empty Adventure on a cart with a flat tyre is no fun.

Hey Stringy - I've been reading through some of the threads you've been contributing to over the past couple of days. I think it would be useful to modify any kayak cart with a cradle that better fit the underside of the hull like you've done. I was also looking at the C-Tug that many are now using as a cart. However, for rougher trails (with roots and rocks) it appears that the C-Tug might not be durable enough. For rougher portages, many seem to be recommending a cart with larger wheels. For a while the Wheelez Tuff-tire cart was a front-runner too. I love the idea of puncture-proof tires. However, it seems that these carts also lack the durability I would need for the environment I plan to use them in.

Mike