It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VID:Luxury seat for A.I.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0lz9wMqKXU[/youtube]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for that Matt, just one thing though, don't you find it reduces pedal power when the seat can tilt back?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Tony...the seat looks feebly mounted but it is not. The back of the seat is extremely firm up against the cross bar. It does lock upright. I have long legs so its a better fit than the Hobie seat that came with the rig. There is a bit of spring in the front part of the seat but it is largely subdued by the fact you are sitting on it. You can stuff lots of bottles of water under the seat and your weight secures them. Your lower back is alot happier and you feel fresher in the hindquarters on long trips.! :)
Most important difference: your groin is dry.....not bad hey...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Veerryy Nice Matt; It is a bit more professional looking than my seat mod (which I would post piccies of on this forum IF I knew how). I think you said the seat back locks up-right? Ok where can I get such a seat and HOW MUCH$$$$? I'm in Darwin NT, and things get a bit expensive up here! I'd like to see a few 'stills' of your base (the cats cradle or mini-tramp set-up) it sits on too. Nice job mate.
Cheers, Vintagereplica ... If it works okay, modify it anyway!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt, I have a skipper seat mounted on a plywood base on my TI, and I find that when pedalling had, I need to have my arms braced against the aka crossbraces to minimise tilting back.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

HOW MUCH$$$$?

I bought it for around 120 dollars from BFC in mornington......a suburb of frankghanistan.....you got BFC up there?

Tony....i dont suffer that in my situation.....I'd kicked the mirage drive 80ks in one day and was stuffed but no problems with back or lack of power...hmmm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

G'day Matt; Yep we have a BCF up here, I think I may have looked at that particular one and couldn't work out a way the fit it. Bought a fixed unpadded vinyl seat and screwed it to a wooden frame which slips under the crossbar at the back and sits in those little indents like door handles in each side. The seat can tilt back an few centimetres allowing me to stuff my jib haliyard under where it is out of the way. I am actually sitting about 20centimentres further back than when one sits in the "Bucket", and this keeps my weight a little further aft which dramatically reduces 'submarining. If I can ever work out how to put piccies on the forum I will do so for those who are interested.
Yes, that southern "Beach Town" you mentioned is getting like that is,'t it. I have a mate who lives in Mornington, so I know what it used to be like!
Cheers Ian (aka) Vintagereplica

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ian,
i was thinking of getting a straight vinyl seat without the padding too ...i thought that the padding would foul with moisture after a while....this may still happen....it could get smelly ....but nothing ugly yet!