Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seat adjustments
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I haven't owned my PA long and only taken it out twice. How do I figure out the proper seat/peddle settings for my PA 12? Took my PA out today in W. TX to try and do some fishing. The winds were 22 mph. Between the winds and me really getting a comfortable leg adjustments, my legs were smoked before I even got a 1/4 way there. I think the distance was about 3-4 miles out. What is the normal winds most take there PAs out in? Or am I just sorry and need to take my PA out more?

Proper
Pervious
Planning
Prevents
Piss
Poor
Performance
Basically, plan ahead or plan to fail.

Papaya Hobie Pro Angler 12

Post subject: Re: Seat adjustments
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You want a slight bend in the knee at full extension. 22 mph winds will work ya but totally doable.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hiya,
I avoid 22 mph winds as I find it very difficult to control direction and make any meaningful headway. Really tough in strong conditions. :(
The ideal seat position will become more obvious the more you use your craft.
I prefer a more laid back position if peddling longer distances, but a more upright position whilst fishing. Everyone will have their own "ideal".
Not sure what other people regard as "fun", but that's my take.
Also, "holding bottom", if that's your style of fishing poses a problem as the drift rate is too quick unless you use very heavy sinkers, or peddle/paddle against the wind. The same applies whether you're in a 20 foot boat or dinghy.
I'm pretty much a "fair weather sailor" these days and don't need or want to put man against the elements if possible especially in the early learning curve.
Definately don't beat yourself up over it.
Wait for good conditions, experiment and enjoy what you are doing :D :D :D
Cheers, Rod

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I most generally use the high position for my seat adjustment. However, in high winds and chop, will drop the seat down to the lower position. The higher the setting, the more you body will act like a sail.

While you legs are the strongest muscle in your body, you may need to do some workouts to strengthen you legs. Think you will find your legs getting tired to be less and less the more you use the pedals.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:59 pm 
Hobie Team Member

22 knot winds are good reasons to stay at base camp... That's why beer was invented!

Fishing is not a matter of life or death... It's much more important than that!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

salmontim wrote:
22 knot winds are good reasons to stay at base camp... That's why beer was invented!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Get a sail for those windy days :mrgreen:

God Bless,
Doc S

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Most likely your leg adjustments to the peddles were the problem and not the wind... But then again there is a learning curve to the hobies and the wind did not help you adjust to the new ride.... After about four or five outings you should be feeling much better by just adjusting the peddle length. One word of advice is don't have the full extention let the fins hit the underside of the yak. OR have the mirage drive be fully deployed where you stop leg movement to the full range of the peddles. You should have play in the mirage drive all the time to still move forward at least one inch.

Good Luck.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

dageaux1977 wrote:
I haven't owned my PA long and only taken it out twice. How do I figure out the proper seat/peddle settings for my PA 12? Took my PA out today in W. TX to try and do some fishing. The winds were 22 mph. Between the winds and me really getting a comfortable leg adjustments, my legs were smoked before I even got a 1/4 way there. I think the distance was about 3-4 miles out. What is the normal winds most take there PAs out in? Or am I just sorry and need to take my PA out more?

22 mph winds on open water in a PA is doable but very uncomfortable. You'll work yourself to death trying to make any headway. You'll get wet, most likely the waves will be between 2-4 ft. and choppy with white caps. All your gear will get wet and anything not tied down will be blown out of the PA. Your hatches will have to stay closed, and you're likely to get alot of water inside the hull. But most importantly, turning away from the wind can be dangerous and timing is key, as you are more likely to get hit by a wave that can cause you to "turtle". If you plan to anchor, you'll need a heavy anchor to keep from being dragged...Sooo...You should ask yourself this question...Do you want to go out for a relaxing day of fishing?...Or do you want to have a heart raising misadventure to test your skills and the capabilities of your PA?..Because in 22 mph winds you'll spend most of your time trying to stay upright, trying to keep your gear from being blown overboard, and not enough time fishing ;)