Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey all,
I just bought a used AI yesterday and took it out today. The AI is from the era of the older AKAs and they have many issues. The locking mechanisms on all of the xbars seem not to be working and do not hold the AKAs.. perhaps I could just replace the plastic clips inside the xbars? Also 2 of the hing boots have cracks running down them. I could possibly find someone to weld this but I am wondering if it is worth the effort or if I should just plan on buying a whole new set: All 4 AKAs and both front and rear xbars.

Do replacement parts (clips) for the older style xbar/aka mount exist - if so could you please give me a link. In the event that I decide to buy all new does anyone know if the bolt patterns match up? I want to put as few of holes as possible in this yak.

Please let me know if anyone has experience trying to modernize an older AI.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have both old and new aka and they are interchangeable on the AI's.

Here's a link to a Hobie catalog with parts for our boats: http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/2012-spring-kayaking-fishing-pa-catalog_1.pdf Page 48

I think what you are looking for is the aka brace assembly, or their parts.
79523101 AKA BRACE ASSY V1 (L)
79523102 AKA BRACE ASSY V1 (R)

79524001 CAP / AKA BRACE LOCK
79523001 SOCKET / AKA BRACE LOCK
81242001 SPRINg / AKA BRACE LOCK
8030781 SOC CAP SCREW
8032081 SHEAR BOLT
8052081 NUT
79536001 BRACE CONNECTOR
8020381 CLEVIS PIN
20860000 SPLIT RING

On the cracks, if they are truly cracks and not seams from the weld, a good welder may be able to repair them. Otherwise old style:
79520001 AKA FWD (L/R)
79521001 AKA LEFT REAR
79522001 AKA RIGHT REAR

The new style would require replacing the XBAR's also, so would be more expensive, but newer style.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Bob thanks for the information!

I guess at this point I need to determine whether I want to fix the older AKAs or buy a whole new set.

The crack in the existing isn't on the AKA tube itself but on the boot of the hing that goes around the AKA tube. The boot is riveted to the tube obviously but the crack but the crack is limited to the boot only. I would assume I could find someone who could weld it but if the cost is high I'm thinking I might as well just buy a new set considering then I'd have a new set as well as a spare set.

Also do you know if you can buy just the 4 clips that go in the ends of the xbars that hold the AKA hings in place and/or the collars that go on the end of the AKA hings that receive the clips?

I do have a 3D printer that I built a while back so I could produce my own but if the factory clips are cheap I'd be inclined just to buy.

Do you prefer one design over the other? Ever have issues with either? Do the clips/collars wear out often?

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jester86 wrote:
The locking mechanisms on all of the xbars seem not to be working and do not hold the AKAs.. perhaps I could just replace the plastic clips inside the xbars?

Are you sure you have the older style akas? They had SS pins to hold the akas to the crossbars and were fairly bulletproof. Those crappy plastic clips are a feature of the new "improved" design. The plastic ones have only been around for a couple of years, but they seem to age quickly.
I think I'm a chorus of one here, but if I was going to buy a whole new set of akas/crossbars, I'd opt for the older design, which was still available, last I heard.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ahh yes I was confused. The guy I bought it off of made it sound like this was the older design saying that I would probably want to upgrade to the design with the steel pin. I guess this yak is newer than I thought.. For the price I figured it was one of the first made. Though I could be way off on what a decent price is.. < $2k ? I've been in contact with a local outfitter store and they are getting me a price for the plastic parts. Though I am considering just doing the "up" -grade to the old design AKAs.. but that is going to run $600 :|