Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have found a yellow Hobie 18 from 1982 for sail. Its in great shape. In addition it was converted to a SX mast and sails in 1999.

Is this boat a bargain at $2200 with a trailer?

Where the sx sails mylar in 99? What colors did they come in?

Is 1982 a good or bad year?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

82 good year!! heavy as a tank and very sturdy. yup i am partial i own one heheheh ... paul

1981 Hobie 18 "Knot A Clew" sail #5445

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One other thing to look for are the anchor plates at the shroud bases. You want to see the shroud ending in the anchor plate, not the deck lip. If the boat does not have these, add them. Also, with the larger sail area anchor plates at the front crossbar to hull mounting points are not a bad idea.

To give you a reference, I bought my '82 H18 (not SX) a few years ago, on a trailer ready to sail for $1000. That was a really good deal. I would see if you can talk him down to the high teens depending on the condition of the boat.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nick's right on all points. Since the boat doesn't have wings, try to talk him down, since an 18SX came standard with wings, and wings ain't the cheapest accessory in the catalog. Last year I bought a '91 18SX w/ wings for $2700 w/ trailer and in very good condition.

Not that you'll probably need to, but beware of the cost of replacing the sails. Hobie sells an SX main sail for $400 more than a regular 18 main sail, and as discussed in another thread, a regular 18 sail won't work well on an SX mast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pay particular attention to the sail.

Had a fleet member almost convinced to convert to the 20 after finding out the cost of a new SX main. Don't get me wrong, he and I both really like the 18, but the final deciding factor was a 20 wouldn't fit in his garage. :shock:

BTW, I sold our '82 18 for $1,600 this spring, without wings, and they're rugged boats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If I am understanding this that means they are Mylar. Any idea about colors?

Also, would Magnum 18 wings fit on, the place has them for sale for $500

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can't help you with the colors except that the Hobie catalog lists white sails and Special Order sails, and yes, SX mains are mylar. Ordering from Hobie means you are class legal for racing, but the 18 class is slowly fading away, and I don't think an SX class really got off the ground since the 20 was introduced 3 years after the SX, and a lot of racers went to the 20.

Yes, Magnum wings will fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here are pictures of the boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie is in process creating a conversion kit for Tiger mainsails to 18SX masts. There are plenty of used ST mains on the net. Cut off the hook and enlarge the first screw hole on the luff side, put your twist shackle in and your done. I just finished this on my '82 magnum with SX stick. The Tiger sail is a better design and lighter than a SX main. BTW I paid 1k for mine with trailer 2 years ago, still had original gel coat on the keel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK, so you're still reluctant. Here's an eBay listing of a similar boat - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hobie-18 ... enameZWDVW

Another thing about price to consider is supply and demand - how often does what you want become available and how bad do you want it. We can't make the decision for you, but aside from missing a tramp ($468 in Hobie catalog) the pictures show it to be in pretty good condition.

How's the condition of the 16 in the background? They're fun boats, too, and usually cheaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The 16 was not in great shape. The hulls had many patch marks.

The 18 shown in the pictures actually had the yellow tramp, it was just stored inside.

They also has an early 80's yellow 17 with wings and yellow sail and yellow tarp, but EVERYTHING about it looked old.

The thing which is really holding up any decision is that they have a 92 18SX with a brand new tramp, trailer, new sails for $5995. It just has some modifications I am not sure about, where the owner put bolts on the sides of the hulls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One thing to keep in mind... if you are not planning on being Hobie class legal, you can always get new sails made at a loft out of Dacron.

I agree, the boat looks to be in great shape. I would probably offer about $2000 for the boat, trailer and wings.

I would look into the Tiger sail modification. That sounds like a great idea.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Do you think that there is any issue with then boat flipping since its more top heavy?

Would the wings help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is the boat you're buying/looking at.

http://www.hcana.hobieclass.com/?Page=2176

Hulls, crossbars, etc are identical with standard 18. Standing rigging, mast, sails and wings are the only difference between 18 and 18SX models. Any 18 can be converted to SX, as this one has been.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

atchudy wrote:
Do you think that there is any issue with the boat flipping since it's more top heavy?

No. And it's not top heavy. Any Hobie will flip if pushed. You must not be afraid of flipping a Hobie if you own one. You must have the confidence and skills to right it, even if you have no intention of flipping it. In fact, some of us flip our boats just to find out what our limits are, and then have a blast tempting those limits. It's all part of enjoying the boats at the highest level we can. It also makes you a much better sailor.

atchudy wrote:
Would the wings help?

Yep. Cats don't heal easily because the wide beam gives it leverage to keep it flat (and go fast!). Adding beam length gives more leverage.

Have you sailed a beach cat before?