Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crack in hull
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was going to do some repairs for some delamination, but I quickly realized that it may be bigger then I had anticipated. The lake that I "attempt" to sail on is an small inland lake, and I don't race and I'm not to worried about weight or looks, but I was hoping to get some thoughts about the best way to repair it. I didn't know if it would even be worth fixing. I live in southwest Missouri, and the closest Hobie Dealer, according to the website, is in St. Louis which is about 3.5 hours away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I guess the picture thing didn't work. Oh well, I will try my best to describe it. It is a veritcle crack about a foot long on the inside portion of the left pontoon. It is located between the rear pylon and the rudder, on the lower part of the hull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Behind the rear crossbar? This sounds like an impact crack, not typical delamination. I assume the crack goes through to the interior of the hull. Can you see the damage from the drain plug? If so you don't have delamination, but a damaged hull. The repair for this will be two fold. First, place an inspection port on the deck in a place you can reach the damage. Cut the hole but don't put the plastic hatch in yet. Fix the structure from the inside of the hole. install the hatch ring seal with silicone. now fix the cosmetic damage on the surface of the hull with fiberglass and resin and then apply a gelcoat putty, sand polish and go sailing.