Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: my new outback
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just ordered a 2013 outback and I am now planning on how to rig my fish finder. The mast location looks like a great spot for the main unit, but I need to figure out a way to mount my transducer. Since I have another kayak(native ultimate) I want to be able to use the same ff and transducer. Only solution I can think of is an over the side method on a deployment arm. Like the mad frog or something home made with aluminum. As far as mounting the arm, I'm thinking I want to use the track system. But where, front or back?

As far as the cable, I was thinking of using some disconnect for the transducer cable. This should work right? Any issues cutting/sodering and using a disconnect?

Post subject: Re: my new outback
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

On my Outback, I went with the Mad Frog Liberator and deployment arm mounted on a wedge mount in the mast hole. Works well, and allows me to use on unit on my other kayaks. The only drawbacks 1) to keep everything clear of the peddles, the fishfinder sits a little forward of where I'd prefer it - makes it tricky to read at times...but that might just be my old eyes, and 2) the deployment arm/transducer tends to get pushed back by water pressure when underway at speeds greater than a slow troll. Requires frequent adjustment to keep it oriented correctly. Minor annoyances to me, but I don't rely heavily on the electronics. Having the arm in front of me makes it easy to deploy and adjust; I keep a lot of other gear behind me and don't need any more reasons to reach back there.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Another possibility for a transducer mount is a, Lowrance "Kayak Scrupper Hole Transducer Mounting System". Found at your local Hobie Dealer. :-)
I sound like a add for Hobie now.
Jim

On a unrelated note our winter so far has been great and I am fishing 1 or 2 days a week.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Another option is buying a package of duct seal at your local Home Depot. It's cheap and comes in 2 lb packages. You can use it to form a well around your transducer on the inside of the yak. 1/2 cup of water into the well, push in your transducer and you are good to go. The great thing about that stuff is if ou don't like the location, you just peel it off and try another spot. Here is a video link showing how to do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEZ9_C1i ... sults_main
T2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Check this set up out
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/show ... hp?t=16994
Mounted to a ram ball you could move it between kayaks easily.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you guys for your suggestions. I'm leaning towards that ram mount. But I think I'm going to try a DIY approach first with flat bar aluminum that I'll bend around the kayak. I need to figure out a quick disconnect, I thought I seen a post here of someone's fish finder setup.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You might also want to consider no fishfinder at all. I think many assume they need a fishfinder and for deep water it helps but most inside waters are cake to read and fish successfully without one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

First time I saw the duct seal idea, pretty cool!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think the FF helps, humps, bumps and all that, but thanks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just picked up my new Outback and a Lowrance Elite-4 fishfinder. I'm shooting the transducer through the hull and the screen is mounted on the left side, just ahead of the rudder control. I'm using a Ram Mount and it is awesome! The only things I really lose with a thru-hull setup is speed and water temp. Other than that, it works great.

www.littlecreeperbaits.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Do you find it far forward enough so its not in your fishing area but close enough to reach? If all else fails ill try that but I need a portable transducer option. I was thinking using one of the rod holders as a transducer mount.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just go for it!!!!! :D :D

Carl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Carl,

I was just wondering about the best way to mount one of those... and if the "hobie wedge hole" that RAM mentions is the built in rod holder. But, your setup here looks a lot easier to handle while on the water than if the mount were back in the rod holders. Thanks for the pics.

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Larry,

The RAM Flush Rod Holder Wedge Adapter (part # RAP-B-354-162U) will work fine. It would be a little too far aft for my liking though. With the 16" Geartrac on the PA handles, the possibilities are endless. And however you configure it, everything is always within easy reach.

Carl