Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We received an invite to tour Hobie's factory about a month ago and went on the tour today. I have to say to begin with how nice all the people working there were. They stopped whatever they were doing to let us view what went on at their station and let us gather around and check it all out. We saw all the machines that the powders are poured into to make the molds and how they insert the different threaded pieces during the process. The area where they put in the lines for the rudder controls looked very time consuming to me. We didn't spend alot of time in that area but it looked like all the guys working in that area had small, nimble hands. They had a testing station set up, testing the mast setup on a little cat, that I didn't recognize, to see if they could get anything to break. The area where they put the sails together was interesting and I noticed it was all women doing the sewing and putting the sails together. In the office area the walls were lined with photos going back to the 60's showing their varied sailboats and other products and the awards they've won over the years. All in all it was a very interesting tour that my wife and I enjoyed. At the end Lorraine gave a good talk on the Island Club and it's associated websites and Facebook pages. And we got snacks to go along with it all. Thanks Hobie for an enjoyable morning tour!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I was at the Factory tour today as well and agree with motoenthusiast - Hobie went our of their way to show us how every part of their products are made. I was surprised that virtually every part is made right here in California and to learn that they closed some of their offshore plants to concentrate all the work in the USA. This is a refreshing change to see jobs being actively supported in the USA.

It was also great to hear Hobie's vision for the development and support of the Island Clubs around the world. This is a great way for us Island owners to find each other and get together.

One little snippet I managed to squeeze out of the Hobie team was that they are currently testing a wave deflector for the AI and TI that will be able to be retro-fitted when released - THAT is great news! When asked about timing all they would say is "its not ready yet"

Thanks Hobie!!

Barry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My wife and I were also able to make the tour and as we we arrived later then the main group, we were fortunate enough to have our group lead by Matt Miller who is a fountain of knowlege about Hobie and the manufacturing processes that go into making all of the Hobie products.
Lorraine Garnier sure put on a great show, one that we will never forget.
Thanks for opening up the work place for us !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Salty Dawg wrote:
we were fortunate enough to have our group lead by Matt Miller who is a fountain of knowlege about Hobie and the manufacturing processes that go into making all of the Hobie products.
Did she do the hula for you?? Ask her to do the hula. It's so worth it! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

NOHUHU wrote:
Salty Dawg wrote:
we were fortunate enough to have our group lead by Matt Miller who is a fountain of knowlege about Hobie and the manufacturing processes that go into making all of the Hobie products.
Did she do the hula for you?? Ask her to do the hula. It's so worth it! :mrgreen:

Hey NoHuHu - sorry NoHulaHula from Lorriane :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

NOHUHU wrote:
Salty Dawg wrote:

No she didn't. It might have been because I had the wife with me at the time.

I did notice that she used her hands a lot when she was talking but because I was sitting in the back of the conference room, I couldn't see if her hips were moving. :wink:

She did mention that she lived in Hawaii before coming back to the mainland and that everyone wants to know if she has ever met Danno or Lieutenant Commander Steve McGarrett. :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Salty Dawg wrote:
She did mention that she lived in Hawaii before coming back to the mainland and that everyone wants to know if she has ever met Danno or Lieutenant Commander Steve McGarrett. :D

Forget them! She knew NOHUHU!! :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And Batman! :lol: