Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shipping a PA 12
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am contemplating shipping my PA 12 (after I purchase it) from Portsmouth, RI to Bokeelia, FL and back. I understand that Kayak shipping is not at all unusual these days. Two questions: 1. What is the necessary packaging for reasonable protection? 2. What is the best method of accomodating the Vantage seat for shipping?

Post subject: Re: Shipping a PA 12
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

See if you can get some original packing material from your dealer. They should have a ton of it lying around. After all, it made it from San Diego to them. So you should'nt have any issues sending your PA on it's second road trip to Florida.

Carl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just a thinking out loud. Did you check to see what renting would cost at the destination? Maybe cheaper then shipping two ways? Just wondering outloud. good luck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My limited research reveals a shipping fee of $50-$165 one way (door to door, terminal to terminal) depending on size and weight. Cursory research for rentals in FL is $200/week. And this would not be a PA 12! Since I would not go for less than 2 weeks shipping is not looking too bad.
My concern is the Vantage seat, which I would not leave home without. I have not found the folded dimensions, but it looks to be about 12" tall folded. Since my bout is still a twinkle in my eye and can't go out in the garage and look at the boat and chair to see if they could become tightly knit friends for shipping.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

there was a thread on here just a few weeks ago about the same thing. do a search.

the outcome was basically that nearly all typical pack and ship carriers would be astronomical in price and rail shipping is not an option due to size. a hot shot shipper seemed to be the option everyone was coming up with. figure a couple hundred bucks each way, and you need to be flexible in your timeframe. the regrettable thing is that i've shipped cars, jeeps and boats across the country for a few hundred dollars--with careful planning. its not the size of the item, its the destination that costs.
if you find a cheaper and still reliable way, please let everyone know. there are plenty of folks with the same question.

as far as prep, do what Hobie does. wrap it all up with heavy duty wrap--with the seat installed. that should be enough to keep the dings off with whatever minor handling a hot shot carrier would do. just make sure to discuss with your carrier the need to not place anything on top of the boat due to the seat. and these guys are heavily insured, should anything happen.

cheers.
drew