Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mr Goehr, do you have any shots of the internals/plumbing you can share for the DIY'rs?

Tony, can you dig up a link to the installation details of the port?

One of the aspects of the internal pump that worries me, (besides shorting) is the need for a vent (cracking the seal on the hatch). Out here, on a GOOD day, the center hatch is usually under water on our AI/TI's. I know that it's completely submerged once the boats are swamped, so getting air into a flooded hull to facilitate pumping becomes a real catch-22.

And the same goes for trying to hand pump through the 8" hatch in wind and waves. Maybe installing a slightly oversized sump port on the starboard gunwale might be a best location. Or a tight one installed on both sides, so you can vent AND alternate your pumping arms, once they are burning with pain. :cry:

On second thought, I'll take both. The battery pump with a manual backup...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Chekika wrote:
PS Your friend, whose boat leaks so much he can't get it up the beach, ought to go to his Hobie dealer and get the problem fixed. That much water is a warranty issue.

He had a friend out on the tramps so I think he wrote it off as a function of weight and plenty of nose diving. Your point is well taken so I will push for a check up.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

NOHUHU wrote:
On second thought, I'll take both. The battery pump with a manual backup...

As a pilot, that's my mantra - you can have all the toys you want, but always have a back up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Im suprised no one uas suggested using the already-present means of converting power into energy (... the Mirage Drive) as a source to power either a mechanical pump or as a means of generating electricity to power an electric pump.

... or for that matter an APU while under sail to generate the electricity for a motorized pump

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PassWind wrote:
Im suprised no one uas suggested using the already-present means of converting power into energy (... the Mirage Drive) as a source to power either a mechanical pump or as a means of generating electricity to power an electric pump.
But I have! Which only proves what a useless idea it is. :roll:

So I've since moved on to thoughts of using the icomfort self-inflating seatpad as an, um, "arse-powered" siphon pump. The ruffer it gets out there, the better it works.

Those are just a couple of the gems floating around in my fertile mind, when I have trubble sleeping. Zzzzz,...

What's your excuse, passwind? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU, there aren't really any instructions as such.... the deck fitting was bought from a yacht chandlers, and the extension to the pump was clear plastic tubing. I don't have a hugely long piece of tubing on it, and confess I haven't tried it on my TI, but reason that it surely must be better than nothing.

I agree with Keith, and also carry lots of safety gear including sea anchor, flares, dye packets, compasses, removable masthead light, up to 85 metres of anchor line, Cooper anchor, VHS with GPS, fish finder/chart plotter, PLB with GPS, etc etc.

While hardly any of this is required by local maritime authorities, it just makes sense to be prepared.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
PassWind wrote:
What's your excuse, passwind? :lol:

I have no excuse ... I Yam what I Yam and thats all that I Yam ... I'm PassWind the Sail'n Duuude

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
VHS with GPS,..
For on-board entertainment? :lol:

I was wondering if you knew what size that port was.

If you are using 1" ID tubing does this fit tightly inside the 1.25" business end of the pump shown in your picture? That's the common seattle sports model I have. Different hand pumps have different fittings though. There are no barbs on the business end, so the fit needs to be just right to survive pumping for long.

I was considering if it would be better to pre-install 2' of tube inside the hull, (going to a low point under the seat) or to feed 30" through the open port hole when needed, and hope to find water?

Something tells me that mating all the pieces is something to be worked out carefully before we cut any large holes in the hull.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nohuhu, trying to up load some pics of my manual and power set up. I have the same pump as Tony and Holger. I put a plastic pipe fitting in the end of my hand pump to reduce the diameter of the pipe that goes through the plug hole to the yak. My battery powered uses the rear bung hole on my AI and has a one way value so water can't enter back in the hull.

This is the pump with the hose and fitting hose clamped on.

Bung i put in useless port side cup holder.

Here is the pump, sits tight against hull and has clips down so can be removed from the pool noodle folder i made. This is my first attempt and i may change the tube to a thicker wall and a different one way valve that i have been able to locate. You can see the pipe has a flattened out in one section.
Tube and one way valve coming out of the rear bung hole.

This is a view of the lid of the rear battery box and waterproof fuse. Cables are all soldered, siliconed then heat shrunk.

top view of lid

The cable then goes to the battery box for my fishfinder which is mounted again in a box next to the centre case and mirage drive. Here it joins to a switch that i mounted in the lid (same as Holgers switch by the looks of it).

I started by wiring up the switch and working back to the battery and pump. This way i was able to set the wiring uo by hand twisting it to check it worked easily and also so i could easy remove it to do the soldering and heat shrink.

I have used the manual in heavy seas and winds and it was ok but as Holger said ya need a long tube for optimual water removal and its hard work getting it all setup and handle the yak in those kind of conditions. Hence why i went for the auto but also i wanted that piece of mind if that fails.

Why 2 batterys you make ask. Well i think 2 is always better than one just like my pumps :lol:

And yes we do catch fish down under.

Last edited by kiwiyaka on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The skin fitting is about 1 inch in diameter. Is it best to use a small drill bit and increase the size or can I go to town with a 1" bit?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kiwi, On PBucket, there's a little box that says "IMG Code". Just click on it once and it will copy the correct URL for you and you just need to past it here anywhere, with your text. No other tricks to it.

So "IMG]http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag84/rollerboynz/20130226_173842_zps1fbebca9.jpg[/IMG]"
looks like:

If you are copying the URLS from anywhere else on the web, hit the Hobie "Img" button first and paste your address between the brackets that appear. Such as:

"[img]YOURURL[/img]"

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy, or whatever the hell you folks say down there. :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

as you said "Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy" thanks mate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
tonystott wrote:
VHS with GPS,..
For on-board entertainment? :lol:
SNIP.

Eh? Don't you Hawaiian guys run TV entertainment unit on your Islands? Of yes, too busy looking after the supermodels :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lately, I'm usually too busy looking out for humpback whale collisions. :shock:

http://khnl.images.worldnow.com/images/20877567_BG1.jpg

Kiwi, thanks for those shots. It looks like the 360GPH pump is a good compromise. At 6GPM it's rated for a boat our size and just as fast as a hand pump (after the adrenaline wears off :oops: )

Our hand pumps are rated around 8GPM, or 2cups per stroke. Pretty effective if you can use them thru a hull port.

I added a couple feet of 3/4" high pressure garden tubing to my outlet, which squeezes tightly inside the nib. Adapted to be used on the inlet, it will not collapse.

I'll look for an adapter like you used, that won't obstruct the 1-way valve. I appreciate the tip.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I also have one of these laying around:

Battery operated, submersable, good for about 1000 Gallons at 200/hr. You just have to be able to reach the switch.

Maybe this should be my powered/manual bilge pump combo? Combined price about $75.00

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next