Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xa-XJ5G ... e=youtu.be

This video isn't really about the motor itself, although the little lightweight unit gives a pretty good accounting of itself in pushing what is a fairly substantial kayak at more than 3MPH.

Beyond the motor, I thought it might be a good idea to show those who were interested in the motor mount, detailed in a previous video, just how well it works in actual use. Obviously, anybody that makes one needs to pay attention to the specifics I gave in the earlier video if they wish the same trouble-free operation, but this new video at least shows what it's capable of.

The unit shown in this video was assembled this morning in less than one hour. Of course, I've made a few over the past several years so I've got most of the details down. I'll be happy to answer any questions that I can. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom,

These are great posts. Thanks for sharing the results of your many hours of R&D.

I was getting ready to purchase a sail for my Revo 13 but I am now tempted to divert those funds to a motor and battery.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Get the sail. It's more fun.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I made the Kirkman PVC mount, using my MinnKota 30# motor, on my 16ft Adventure, I get 2.1 mph on the lowest setting, and about 4.4 mph on 5, or high. Here's a pic----the last pic my little Fuji camera will ever take, it slipped its strap and went into the salt water...have it in a gallon jar with DRI-Z-AIR but I think it's a doorstop now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks like you got it right. Hopefully it tucks in close and locks in place as directed. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello Tom,

A question re. your great Hobie motor mount -what is the exact diametre of the PVC pipe that goes into the rod holder?

Greetings from The Netherlands,

Theo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

1-1/2 inch.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello Tom,

Thanks for that -I'll start work on a motor mount, many thanks for sharing your splendid idea!

Cheers, Theo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

so its 1 1/2 in pipe to T-pipe-elbow-pipe - T...then what are the last two peices? how does that clamp and pipe attach to the T?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom,

First, thanks for taking the time to post this. Like you, I like simple. I do have a couple of questions if you don't mind taking the time to answer them.

1.). I am going to use a 30 lb Minkota trolling motor. What type battery and what amp hour battery do you suggest?

2.). I have tried both Lowes and Home Depot for the flat end cap (I think that's their correct name) that you bolt the conduit clamps to. Neither carry them in my area. They only carry the ones that are round on the end. Any ideas where else I might find the ones that are flat?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I posted a UTube video earlier that shows all the parts and pieces. I'll have to go back and try to find that post and link.

I found the flat caps at both Lowes and a local hardware store. I guess they all buy from different suppliers at times. Only thing I can suggest to you is that maybe a local dedicated plumbing supply store would have it, or try any hardware store you can think of.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That flat cap is hard to find. I went to home dept and lowes also. Try true value hardware. I found one that was flat enough there

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

An ABS plastic cap will also work and sometimes those are easier to find in the flat style. Of course, not all the stores will have ABS supplies.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've also built one of these for my Hobie PA. The PA isn't quite like the kayak used by Tom. For example, if I were to mount the T section to a point below the wide section of the kayak, it would be below the water line. So, I made it as short as possible. Notice the scum line on the kayak and where the mount is in relation. It works great! In the photos you may notice the anchor line is there, but there is actually a small gap that it fits between the hull and the motor mount. I also used PVC collar that fits tighter in the well of the rod holder. It's maybe 1/8" thick and makes for a VERY snug fit to the hull. I could not find an end cap, so I found several sizes of PVC that nested inside each other until I was down to 1/2". Look close and you will see the rings of the plug I made. I then drilled a hole and used a self-tapping screw on each of the 3/4" EMT clamps. I also modified the motor and removed the head, wired to a PWM controller and installed a POT to control the trolling motor speed on top of the tiller handle. I now have a knob that works as the throttle with infinite range of adjustment from off to full speed. The PWM was on eBay for around $30 I think. I bought it some time ago so I can't recall the actual price.
I plan to refine the mount and motor to reduce the motor's mast or even to route the motor inside the mount. Might be that I route the wires to a plug at the inside of the rod holder section so when the assembly is dropped into the rod holder, it plugs into the power at the same time. That would keep the profile of the motor to a very small area I think. More tinkering! Ha!

Also, I painted it and added a leash.

Oh, I left the photos full sized for detail.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

SkiPro,

Nice. A few questions...

1. What are the spec's on that PWM? Is that one of those 30A chinese scooter controllers? I assume it's reversible? Looks like a 30lb motor, so about a 30A max draw through the controller?

2. What did you waterproof the flex tubing connections at the plug & motor shaft with? Looks like heat shrink tubing maybe?

3. How did you waterproof the pot in the tiller?

4. Do you have a killswitch? Don't see one...

Thanks!