Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys I, i just bought my first cat. its a 1983 Hobie 16. Any tips, tricks, or pointers? i have sailed on a Hobie getaway and know the basics i plan on my first launch next weekend. thanks

Post subject: Re: Newbie
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Welcome to the Hobie way of life. If possible, practice setting up the boat in your yard. Knowing where all the lines and wires need to be will make launch day easier. Where are you located and planning to sail?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When setting up in the yard check for power lines. I kinda thought that all the warnings in the manual and on the masts were over doing it. Then when I was setting it up in the yard there were the power lines right overhead. I have not sailed a Getaway, but I have sailed a Bravo quite a bit. The difference in speed is huge. 2x? 3x? You need a much bigger place to sail. When I first switched to the 16 I was putting my weight pretty far back because I had heard so much about pitch-poling. Well, it is also pretty easy to bury the rear of a hull and go over that way so now I keep my weight more centered and towards the front and have had good luck with that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Im located 7 miles from Jax beach where i plan to sail there is a beach cat specific part of the beach for launching. I plan on practicing setting her up some time in the next week. Weather hasnt been cooperating with me. All i need to do though is get new batten caps and replace the roped, and cotter pins in my rudder system and she will be ready. Also, any recommendations on compounds to use to buff out oxidation and bring back her shine? Thanks for the advice 1h uhh ll and Karl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As with a used car go over EVERYTHING on the boat, don't take for granted that the hull plugs (as an example) are any good. The middle of the lake is not the place to find out that the nut that secures the side stay to the boat fell off and now the mast is in the water.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Make sure you read the manual, etc.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12697

http://www.hcana.hobieclass.com/default.asp?Page=9304&MenuID=CLASSES___|%2Fc20071%2F9268%2F

There is also a book you can get at Amazon, or even a local library:
Catamaran sailing : from start to finish / Phil Berman

It is always a good idea to combine a theory with practice...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Congrats!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I will agree with JackB, Phil Bermans book is a very valuable tool. As for cleaning, Bar Keepers Friend is an excellent product for cleaning.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm another newbie from SE MA. I picked up an '87 Hobie 16 in November but have yet to get it on the water. I ordered the Phil Berman book from Amazon and printed out the manual. The real learning will begin in the next few months when the water warms up a bit! For now I'm lurking, reading, learning from the experts. Great site.

Rich

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks everyone iv read through the manual a few times now and i plan on practicing set up in the next week and hopefully weather permitting sailing next Saturday :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

wndsrf150 wrote:
I'm another newbie from SE MA. I picked up an '87 Hobie 16 in November but have yet to get it on the water. I ordered the Phil Berman book from Amazon and printed out the manual. The real learning will begin in the next few months when the water warms up a bit! For now I'm lurking, reading, learning from the experts. Great site.

Rich

They haven't posted their 2013 schedule, but you might want to bookmark http://www.fleet448.org/. I haven't been to any of their events, as I found them too late last fall, but they're the only fleet in New England that I can see.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe