Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What an amazing machine! Since the age of 13 I've been sailing. In my late teens I dated a girl whose whole family was into the ocean kayaking and had some amazing get-away weekends on the water. And off and on through time I've always enjoyed riding a bicycle. Oh, and I've always had an need for speed.

As time has gone on an old shoulder injury has come back to visit me permanently. It stopped me from cycling because I couldn't bear the weight on my arms. And for the same reason I would never be able to pick up a kayak paddle again. Well, I could pick it up I just couldn't use it. In time my shoulder injury was joined by an old back injury and they ganged up on me. Long story short I was in pain for almost 3 years.

Then along came the Hobie tandem Island. Isn't it just freaking awesome? Look, I can use the pedals and gain the same level of fitness as those years cycling. Besides it makes sense to use the larger muscle group to propel the craft. It also excuses me from doing any kayak paddling. So that ticks two boxes right there. Add on the sailing and I couldn't be any happier. I would have posted here sooner but I was having too much fun. Then I broke my hand. Now I have time to type but only one hand type with. Thank God for halfway decent dictation software.

So hi, my name is Stephen. I usually launch out of either Sausalito or San Rafael. We did meet one couple but never got their name. I saw another tandem island sailing off in the distance. So I know there's more than just us. Well I'm ready to head off to some of the other forums and put in my $1.50 worth ( it used to be two cents but with today's inflation you know). be safe and have fun. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome Steve. Love your enthusiasm. The TI is great.

Getting a TI in and out of the water can be a particular challenge, and has led to a few back injuries that I know of. So if you don't want to add "hernia" to your list of woes, enlist all the trailers, beach wheels and friends you can find. :wink:

That said, I bought my original AI from a bloke who did not have the use of his legs, and he was a brilliant solo sailor. So this is a great craft for any of us - even the most accident-prone, like you and I.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Stephen,

Just caught your note - 6 weeks late. Trust you're still enjoying the TI. It is wonderful to use legs when arms don't work as well. And with a sail -- well, you know.

You mentioned giving up biking due to too much weight resting on the arms. I had to give it up for other physical reasons -- until I discovered recumbents. Both trikes and bikes have kept me on the road, though with a TI, even the recumbents stay in the garage most of the time.

If you are not aware, there is another guy on this forum who does a lot of recumbent bike riding. I think his user name is SkyMax. In any case enjoy the sailing and pedaling.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stephen,
Couldn't agree more! If these things were any more fun the government would ban them :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have had my TI in the water since last June, and have made well over 70 trips with it so far. I can't get enough of it!

I have had a double spinal fusion, new hip, dicky ticker etc etc, but as I use a trailer, it is no effort to launch and retrieve. Screw trying to get one up on a roofrack!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Totally agree with the trailer over cartop or van top or pick up top. Have done the topping thing with kayaks for many years. Even with a good system there is a certain amount of weight that simply has to be lifted. One end of a stripped down totally empty and dry TI weighs about 50 lbs (23 kg). That no longer works for my back.

The trailer is wonderful. Boat launches are wonderful. And when I get home the TI is already on its storage rack which rolls right into the garage. I don't even have to bend over to get the dry bags out of the hatches. Life is great!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Trailers are certainly easier.
I have a problem with a small white thing at the back of the car, that gets in the way.
It does allow me, and the Mrs, to travel and stay at some beut Island locations though.
When I get home, I hook up an electric winch, through the front mirage hole, to lift it into the ceiling but still have to lift the nose onto the rack after retrieving. Not a problem at this time, even with a shoulder reconstuct after falling off the bike. I have a design in mind for a 12v winch to get it up there when it becomes too heavy.
And yes, another great sailing adventure Tony. Keep up the great reports.
Cheers,
Brian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The variety of solutions to every problem on this forum never cease to amaze me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Puget wrote:
Stephen,

Just caught your note - 6 weeks late. Trust you're still enjoying the TI. It is wonderful to use legs when arms don't work as well. And with a sail -- well, you know.

You mentioned giving up biking due to too much weight resting on the arms. I had to give it up for other physical reasons -- until I discovered recumbents. Both trikes and bikes have kept me on the road, though with a TI, even the recumbents stay in the garage most of the time.

If you are not aware, there is another guy on this forum who does a lot of recumbent bike riding. I think his user name is SkyMax. In any case enjoy the sailing and pedaling.

Puget, better late than never. Yes I am familiar with recumbents having had two in my life. Right now I have a "city" bike with a more upright seating position. BTW I lived in Seattle for several years. Heading up there and then on to Vancouver. Oh, and we are bringing the boat!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Lucky for me the rig came with a trailer. :D