Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes I have sailed a late 70's 18.

Right now Im thinking the 1982 boat with the SX sails is a better deal than the $5995 1992 18SX. They both have the same sails, and are in about the same condition. However the 18SX has some wierd modifications the previous owner did, and alot of wear in the daggerboard hulls. The jib is also in OK shape.

I realize the 82 18 needs some polishing, and a new black tramp, but does anyone think that buying it instead of the 92 18SX is a mistake?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NADA average retail value on the '92 SX is $3,840.

On an '82 SE it's $1,430 (SX came out in '89).

We had an '82 Magnum, the wings were great for entertaining friends, makes the boat roomier. As far as the wings making the boat faster? IMO, don't think so, I'd call it a draw.

I'd haggle with the guy on the '82 model.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd buy the '82 also. '92 SX isn't worth 5k, period. The SX sails are a problem waiting to happen. The mylar/dacron will delam, its just a matter of time. I personally think the Magnum wings are stronger than the SX wings. Take the extra money and buy a used Tiger main and spin set-up. You won't believe how much faster you can go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do you have to do any mods to the Tiger pin when putting it on an SX mast? One of my upcoming projects is to add a spin and update the main and jib. Did you use the jib from the Tiger as well?

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used a Tiger ST. The pin head isn't that much different than the SX sail. The Tiger uses a hook that fits on top of the mast, it must be cut off. Then you will enlarge the first screw hole on the luff track side of the head plate. Put your twist shackle and ring on and your done. The ST needs more downhaul than a Dacron sail, at least 8:1. I used a cascaded system with 2 jamb cleats and 2 pivoting exit blocks( I think thats the right term) on the mast. Put a turn block in the track and thats it. The lines run to the sidestays so you can adjust from the wire. The spin was an easy setup. It goes 26'8" up the mast if you use a Tiger chute. Don't get the SX chute, you will be disappointed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just out of curiosity, any idea what an ST Tiger set of used sails go for? I know it depends on their condition, but assume above average.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've seen several for $500. I would think that 40% of original price 1 to 2 years old is fair. I was lucky to find one that had been repaired but was almost new from a sailor in Ca. I'm still working out bugs but feel the sail is faster. Its certainly lighter and I have a foot less boom to boot. I am taking the boat out this weekend for more tuning and practice, I'll try and take some photos. The Tiger main really updates the look of the boat, it looks faster. My wife says it looks mean?