Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New member
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

What would a Pro ANGLER be without a good fishfinder GPS. The combo unit is a Humminbird 798CISI sidescanner. with full built in Navionics charts. Transducer permanently mounted out of harms way in the tunnel. Head mount on the sideboard. In this ducer view you can see the cart under the Yak.

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The Hobie Cart is a pretty neat thing for a basic Yak. Not so good for a fully loaded fishing machine. Tipping the Yak on its side is a real PITA to say the least. So a little ingenuity, bits and pieces from here and there and a real easy cart is fashioned. A deck post for 4X4 treated main beam, some 5/8 for axles, PVC pipe for a longitudinal along with some starboard and neoprene foam for support. The yellow stuff is large pool noodle. Use the large pool noodle with slits cut in the circumference to store rigs and leaders. Bury the hook in the slit and wind the rest into the slit. The Yak is loaded by blocking the wheels in front with the chocks. Yak is just pulled forward onto the cart. The cart is restrained longitudinally with half inch aluminum tubes through the drains behind the seat, through the PVC, through the starboard, through a padeye on the main beam and stopped by a screw. Unload is just the opposite with blocks behind wheels and Yak pushed off cart.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ground tackle is a must and being able to anchor from both ends is a great convenience. So there are features on both ends of the Yak to deploy and retrieve and anchor easily. Rear has a roller block and fairleads to keep the line from getting under the Yak and fouling the rudder. Ask me how I know that can happen LOL. The front is just a fairlead. Both ends have separate Jam cleats and lines. Rear is rolled on a cheap Christmas tree light holder from WalMart and front is looped and put into the bottom rod holder. Snaps on ends can hold the anchor. Snaps are stored near seat so that the conditions for that day can be accommodated for front or rear anchoring. Wind and current usually decide. If lovely wife is along then front anchoring to keep the aft from being pulled down further.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Got to get that Yak moved long distances somehow. So in the front anchor fairlead picture above you can see a stainless eye put through the front handle. That eye goes over a hook on the back of my electric bike. Have hauled the Yak four miles that way and did not even knock the charge down to mid level on the bike. For longer and faster moves the Yak goes on the roof of the truck. We travel full time and tow a large travel trailer too. Hence all these pics are a bit crowded because our lot space here is limited. A few pics of the load roller and roof features that hold the Yak. The white plastic rails mount with the tunnel depressions to keep the Yak from going over the side on sidehills. Ask me how I know it can fall off LOL> Four ratchet straps hold it down and fore and aft. My son and I made up a strap system that attaches to the rear padeyes goes down through the mirage hole then forward with a small loop that fits over the the bottom inch of the forefoot of the Yak. Up over the roller and the roof to a front mounted small boat winch. The Yak is hoisted up until the forefoot is just over the roller, a bungee holding that small loop on is removed and a second attach strap is put on the front handle. The front of the Yak continues upward until the second strap comes tight and tips the Yak down onto the supports. Then the Yak is pulled forward into position and strapped down. Lots of stuff is now loaded into the Yak and bungee strapped down. I will try to remember to take pictures of the loading when we pack up in two weeks to start our trip north in Florida. Removal of the Yak is accomplished with a ramp attached to the projection just under the roller and the Yak is pulled backward until it is on the ramp and then the ground.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That is enough for now. I will get pictures of some of the other mods like the sail stuff and the bilge pump later. Probably after I mod the outrigger and floats as well as add a twist and stow rudder with the sailing blade in tandem with the too small built in rudder. Well maybe just one more picture. That is the mod to make the top of the tackle box in front of the seat open to the side. Also, in lots of the pictures you can see the four removable Bass Pro rodholders.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Very nice!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

olddognewtrick wrote:
Nice seat! Being that far back, does it make the PA feel tippy?

Originally the seat was even farther back. Does not make it tippy. And now with the full up stabilization and floats it is almost impossible to get much side leaning motion.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Amazing mods. Great job. Is the Side Imaging interfered by the hull? And may I ask where did you find your lithium battery?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

pa14naz wrote:
Amazing mods. Great job. Is the Side Imaging interfered by the hull? And may I ask where did you find your lithium battery?

Thanks.

The hull is out of the view of the side imaging sonar cones.

The battery is by Bioenno. They sell direct and on eBay.

All 12 volt sizes http://www.bioennopower.com/?page_id=2971

Particular model in my PA14 http://www.bioennopower.com/?page_id=2551