Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm having trouble finding this under Google.....

Does anyone know of ANYWHERE in Costa Rica you can rent a Hobie cat?

I can't believe for the life of me that there isn't one rental outlet anywhere in this beautiful country.... I'll be heading out in Feb., and it would be real sad if I could not take a Cat out for half a day.

Any help on this is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'll ask my cousins, they practically live there and run a guide service.

Edit: hey, do you have a FB account? Ask here, I gave them a heads up http://www.facebook.com/costaricaguides

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Been going there for 15yrs up and down the Pacific side and never have seen any beachcats on the beaches. Not sure why. Most beaches on the Pacific have some decent surf which would make it challanging to launch a boat.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Howdy!

I guess your trip to Costa Rica might be over, and unfortunately I haven't seen Hobie Cat's down here other than my own and a German gentleman who sails out of Punta Leona.

That said, I actually have two 18SX which are in great disrepair. Together with three buddies we are trying to piece them back together. We need to buy a TON of spare parts as they unfortunately had a bunch of items misplaced or stolen. Don't have sails, missing the booms, etc.

If any Hobie Cat catamaran enthusiasts head to Costa Rica, we would very much welcome your help as we are novices and don't know how to rig them very well. Free use of the Hobie Cats will be graciously offered whenever we get them back on the water.

This is my first post of probably many asking for guidance, and I'll also be posting this same invitation so others who visit Costa Rica can hopefully sail with us.

Pura vida!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am a captain at the new Costa Rica Sailing School where you can get hobie cat lessons & rentals as well as regular monohull lessons on the west coast in the Jaco/Caldera/Puntarenas area:

http://costa-rica-sailing.com/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Feb 2021, any updated information on the same question? Going to CR in late May and a lot of Costa Rican cat rental sites I have found in forums have been removed or are offline now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I spent a week in Playa Potrero which has a sailing club that rents hobie cat and small keel boats. I was there in Feb 2020

http://costaricasailing.com/

Potrero is a small town. Not a lot of activities in immediate vicinity, but that suited me fine. I stayed at the Bahia Del Sol hotel right next door and loved it.