Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought a 2013 oasis and joined this forum. Neither my wife nor I have ever kayaked, but I got the bug to get one :mrgreen: Justed wanted to introduce myself, and ask a dumb newbie question. I know I still need to peruse all of the FAQ's on here and have quickly looked at topics but didn't see one for this dumb question. Is it ok to sit in it on dry land? I have it sitting on 2 inch pvc pipes resting on cross members at each end upright (with the pvc in the bottom grooves).....I'm pretty hefty, so I was wondering if it was ok to get in it while I have it on those pvc tubes?????? Too cold to take it to the water now and I'm itchin' to get a feel for her and where I want to put my fishfinder. I got a spring creek stabilizer set and mounted the brackets for that, but they are curing. Any help for this old newbie will be most certainly appreciated!!!! Look forward to chatting with ya'll and enjoying the big banana. :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Congrats Woodenhorse; my wife and I did the same thing last fall...got a 2013 Oasis...we had a lot of fun over the fall and a bit over the winter here in VA. What part of the country are you in? I am not sure I would sit in it on the ground but the experts can advise. We bought it out the door with turbo fins installed. Bob (VA)

A couple of our trips reports are here:

http://whitespider.broeking.com/?page_id=15

Last edited by motobob on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We bought a 2013 Oasis a little over a month ago. We took it for it’s maiden voyage a couple weeks ago, then yesterday went fishing. We have the turbo fins. We were amazed at the speed, stability and ease of fishing. We’ve had other kayaks for over ten years now and this is absolutely the best. I am planning on mounting a fish finder in the back and a pole holder up front for my wife, but not sure where to do it. Hopefully we will see others and what they have done.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

motobob wrote:
Congrats Woodenhorse; my wife and I did the same thing last fall...got a 2013 Oasis...we had a lot of fun over the fall and a bit over the winter here in VA. What part of the country are you in? I am not sure I would sit in it on the ground but the experts can advise. We bought it out the door with turbo fins installed. Bob (VA)

A couple of our trips reports are here:

http://whitespider.broeking.com/?page_id=15

Bob,

Thanks for the response, haven't had a chance to look at your reports, but plan to shortly I lived in Northern Virginia for twenty years (Mount Vernon, Alexandria, Springfield, Burke Centre and Manassas) I currently live in Mississippi near Hattiesburg, about 60 miles from the intercoastal waterway and Gulf of Mexico. I'm sure anxious to get this thing in the water, hopefully will do it this weekend. Haven't finished mounting the spring creek stabilizer receiver, but will this week. The mounts on the kayak seem to have adhered well, although they are well nuts, I used 3M marine adhesive, so, hopefully they will hold and not leak. Looking forward to reading your write up.

Thanks again,
Bob (yes another Bob :) )

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

woodenhorse: PVC pipes might give way! I'd just put the boat on the grass... you're not going to be sitting there long enough to do any damage (are you...?)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

motobob,

I have the regular fins....will use them for a while before converting to the turbos. Enjoyed your writeups.....I've fished the Occoquan. Temps down here are supposed to be 73 (air) on Saturday....the water is in the 50's tho. Plan on heading down to Ocean Springs, MS and going out in the back bay area Saturday, if the wind isn't too bad. Anxious to get this thing in water, but my wife is terrified of water. I promised her that we'd only go when calm and we'd use the spring creek stabilizers. Of course, one of her coworkers came up to her today and told her two kayakers drowned in the Ocean Springs area this past Thursday. I told her they were using smaller, sit in kayaks in rough weather and with the stabilizers, we will be fine. I plan on getting in there solo and getting out in the water a little ways and rocking the heck out of the kayak to show her it won't tip in the waters we are going in.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

dguisewite wrote:
We bought a 2013 Oasis a little over a month ago. We took it for it’s maiden voyage a couple weeks ago, then yesterday went fishing. We have the turbo fins. We were amazed at the speed, stability and ease of fishing. We’ve had other kayaks for over ten years now and this is absolutely the best. I am planning on mounting a fish finder in the back and a pole holder up front for my wife, but not sure where to do it. Hopefully we will see others and what they have done.

I haven't fully decided where to mount mine either......I need to sit in the kayak to see what's up. I hate drilling holes in her.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

(censored) wrote:
woodenhorse: PVC pipes might give way! I'd just put the boat on the grass... you're not going to be sitting there long enough to do any damage (are you...?)

LOL, thanks (censored), hope not, just want to get a feel for adjusting the seat and eyeballing her from the seat.......didn't realize these things were so "fragile" on land....gotta figure a way to store it via hanging/pulley system. Any ideas on that? I live out in the country and we have lots of critters that like to gnaw......I need to store it upside down in the air.....dealer told me to get the widest possible straps. Anyway, I'll take your advice and take it out to grass and sit in it long enough to adjust the seats. I've also gotta adjust the rudder and knobs. My dealer is mainly a bicycle shop and I'm on my own for that...the levers don't line up and one hits the edge causing the rudder to not gully move in each direction. I'll get it figured out.....hopefully I won't screw anything up before I even get that baby wet. :shock:

Hmmm. they censored your name????!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

woodenhorse wrote:
motobob,

I have the regular fins....will use them for a while before converting to the turbos. Enjoyed your writeups.....I've fished the Occoquan. Temps down here are supposed to be 73 (air) on Saturday....the water is in the 50's tho. Plan on heading down to Ocean Springs, MS and going out in the back bay area Saturday, if the wind isn't too bad. Anxious to get this thing in water, but my wife is terrified of water. I promised her that we'd only go when calm and we'd use the spring creek stabilizers. Of course, one of her coworkers came up to her today and told her two kayakers drowned in the Ocean Springs area this past Thursday. I told her they were using smaller, sit in kayaks in rough weather and with the stabilizers, we will be fine. I plan on getting in there solo and getting out in the water a little ways and rocking the heck out of the kayak to show her it won't tip in the waters we are going in.

Yes, you live in a great area for water sports and the Oasis...though too bad you moved before I got back here; we could have went out on the water together on weekends with the spouses! :D Enjoy the pedaling!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

woodenhorse wrote:
(censored) wrote:

LOL, thanks (censored), hope not, just want to get a feel for adjusting the seat and eyeballing her from the seat.......didn't realize these things were so "fragile" on land....gotta figure a way to store it via hanging/pulley system. Any ideas on that? I live out in the country and we have lots of critters that like to gnaw......I need to store it upside down in the air.....dealer told me to get the widest possible straps. Anyway, I'll take your advice and take it out to grass and sit in it long enough to adjust the seats. I've also gotta adjust the rudder and knobs. My dealer is mainly a bicycle shop and I'm on my own for that...the levers don't line up and one hits the edge causing the rudder to not gully move in each direction. I'll get it figured out.....hopefully I won't screw anything up before I even get that baby wet. :shock:

Hmmm. they censored your name????!!!!

Reference the rudder adjustment...I had the same issue; so as to no reinvent the thread, here was my questions, the answers, and my success in adjusting the rudder...very easy. Bob

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=45884&p=198757#p198757

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Name was intended to be "Fish It!" Punctuation limitation and inadvertent typo did me in!

Use the search function to find threads on overhead storage... there are a bunch of them!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated. I'm a firm believer in questions.....sure appreciate your patience. I'll check the threads you referenced and do as you say. I still don't see how adjusting at the rudder will rectify the levers being way out of alignment, but I haven't read the links yet. :D I'll give it a shot....if I need help tho, I'll be seeking some additional guidance for dummies like me. really hope to enjoy the Oasis and this forum.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:58 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

woodenhorse wrote:
Is it ok to sit in it on dry land?
Congratulations on your new boat!. Personally I never sit in a kayak on dry land. Some people no doubt do and may get away with it, but the bottom is not built for single point support -- it is designed to be supported over a broad surface by water in the same way airplane wings are not usually made to be stepped on but can easily support the weight of the entire plane and passengers when broadly supported by air. Cockpit rails on the other hand are designed with the rigidity to support the boat (inverted).

You would want to adjust your seat in conjunction with pedal reach while in the water when you have an opportunity to cycle the pedals. If you need to work on the rudder, you can set the boat upright on sawhorses (I pad mine) where everything is easy to inspect and access.

If the handles are not synchronized, you will not be able to adjust the rudder until you get that resolved. They are supposed to be synchronized at the factory so I'm guessing this was missed by the QA dept. I'm wondering if one of the internal lines is wrapped around something or misguided. Unfortunately it sounds like your Hobie dealer does not know how to work on his product because this is something your dealer would normally take care of for you. If you can snap a couple of pics showing the handles and internal lines someone here might be able to help. Using a mirror, you can also inspect the lines inside between the handles.

Once the handles are aligned then the rudder can be adjusted if necessary. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Roadrunner, much appreciated! I'll skip the trip to Ocean Springs this Saturday and see if I can adjust the levers and rudder on a set of saw horses. If it is something I can't figure out, then I'll definitely hit you guys up for some help. If I get it all figured out and adjusted, then I'll take it to the local lake to get it in the water and then adjust and eyeball things to see how I fit and where an ideal spot would be for fishfinder/gps. If my wife doesn't want to come and sit in the kayak while I fiddle with everything, I guess I can throw a couple of bags of play sand up in the front cockpit for some ballast.

Thanks for helping!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great boat :mrgreen:

Your dealer may not be up to the standard of some but you'll get any amount of help/advice/ideas on these forums from people who really know these boats.

Enjoy!!!