Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, I hate to open a can of worms, but I am planning on buying a Wave for the northern end of Lake Wallenpaupack in PA. It's a good sized lake: roughly 1 mile across, 13 miles long with 50 miles of shoreline. It often has good (though sometimes shifting) winds. I have sailed a Hunter 140, Sunfish or Big Fish on the Lake for many years.

We just used a Wave without a jib over several days in Cancun last month, and I am hooked. If we had more stable winds in PA, I would not consider it, but I am thinking a jib could be useful with more variable lake conditions. For example, would it help with tacking and/or keeping the bows up through motorboat chop?
I am not looking for more speed just wondering about other potential benefits.

I would love to hear from the lake sailors out there. I would mostly be by myself (155 lbs) or sometimes with one or two others.

I wonder what percentage of lake sailors are using a jib? Do most people who get it feel happy with their choice?

Thanks for the advice!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

A furling jib is awesome. I've had a hobie 14 with no jib and 17 with no jib, and it is a bit easier to sail solo with no jib. I bought these boats for solo sailing, but as my kids grew bigger, I gained extra hands for sailing and need a bigger boat.

My latest boat is a hobie getaway with the furling jib. The biggest advantage the jib adds (aside from more power) is that it makes tacking easier.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm not a wave owner. However, you may want to wait for additional opinions from actual wave owners or do a search of this forum. The behavior of a jib on a Wave appears to be very different than on most other models.

I've been reading all things wave as I contemplate a move from my Bravo to a Wave and it seems common opinion is that with the combination of the already very forward mast location on the Wave, that at least the 'stock' jib does not help tacking at all. It also is said by some to add a small or negligible amount of performance, depending on the report that you read. It is mainly great at being a training tool and keeping your passenger busy.

A larger, custom Jib may be another story altogether but I personally won't be adding a 'stock' jib to my Wave (if I trade) to try an improve tacking.

I'm not making any claims as I have no personal experience. Just sharing what I've read as a fellow newcomer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a wave and live on a lake. You don't need a jib. The boat is easy to turn and plenty fast and points all but straight up wind without one.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

[quote="xanderwess"]I have a wave and live on a lake. You don't need a jib. The boat is easy to turn and plenty fast and points all but straight up wind without one.[/quote]

He's right, the only advantage is aesthetics.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not a fan of the jib...does make flying a hull eaiser and does keep the bow up a bit in big wind. Problem is its either sheeted tight or flapping like crazy. I am going to try adding some hanks to attach it to the forestay may help a bit!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

First, YES, the jib is worth it but only if have a custom one is made IMO. My Wave takes off just on the jib being sheeted only. I've made passes using a stopwatch with exact distance calculations and the Waves are quicker than you think. Especially with the jib. As a previous H16 owner and sailing solo almost always, I can't even begin to tell you how much I love the Wave. I made a custom over sized jib for mine. Roughly the same size as a Hobie jib but with a longer foot and leech. I also found that sheeting the jib to the sides of the tramp (where the factory jib kit does) doesn't work well. It will flap like crazy and drive you nuts when pointing. Basically useless when set up like that. I have mine sheeted just off center on the tramp. Points excellent, slot is much tighter and gets the sail flatter.

Some things to consider: The mast is VERY far forward on a Wave. In heavy air while running hard it will try to pitchpole. It's a super digger :lol: . Basically becomes a submarine. Getting the maximum amount of mast rake makes all the difference on a Wave. I am installing an additional adjuster on the front and going to shorter custom length shrouds as well as installing a MS traveler and 4:1 Harken low profile MS blocks made for the Wave.

I only sail in big air (15-25 minimum) so having the traveler and being able to go block to block on the main w/maximum amount of mast rake will really light it up.

If you sail in light air all the time I would not do these mods.

pm me for more details if you'd like

This guy has about the best setup for sailing a Wave in big air (I think he's running 6:1 blocks on the Main which is overkill IMO): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3PYBTBNM4E

Here is a cheesy video I did from a couple of days out last year. You can see it trying to submarine in a couple of spots: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PH4UQoSVZM