Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro angler 14 vs Outback
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Need some advise from some of you experienced in kayak fishing. I am planning to purchase a fishing kayak and really want a Hobie. What is a better kayak? What is the best deal? I am 6'2" and about 220 pounds and will be fishing near shore in the Gulf of Mexico on Alabama coast and in the Bay. I have found two used kayaks that I am thinking of buying. One is a 2009 Pro Angler 14. It has turbo fins, a fin bag, and ancor trolly that comes with it. It is in really great shape. The guy said he only used it 10 times and it shows. I can get it for $1,800.00. The other one is a 2011 Hobie Outback. The only thing it comes with is a kart. It is also in great shape. The only problem is the zipper on the back of the seat is corroded but not that big a deal. This guy wants $1,400.00 but I think he is a little flexable so I think it will go for $1200.00. What do you guys think is the better buy. Keep in mind I don't know how I will like kayak fishing so I want something that when I sell it I won't lose to much money on. Thanks, John H.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Both are real good stable fishing platforms. The pa is alot more stable, especially standing. PA has built in rod holders. The sail works very well with both. If car topping the outback is alot easier to load. I have NOT been the surf with mine but my understanding is in a PA14 beaching can be tricky. Somewhere on the forum I read that to land the pa14 it is best to bring up the rudder, use the paddle to face the waves and let them push you backward to the beach. My understanding is if you try to paddle or peddle yourself straight into the beach a wave will raise the back of the pa14 and cause the nose to hit the ground and I can imagine the splat.
I have fished with both of the models you mention. I think the resale value of the PA is higher. Just my guess.
I'm pretty sure if you get to fish with either you won't want to get rid of it. Just possible upgrade.
Jim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I can't address surf landing at all - we don't have much of that in Utah. But if you want a pure fishing machine, the PA is the answer.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think I have decided to go with the PA 14. Now I wonder if getting the 2009 for $1800.00 or would I be better or to spend the $2950 on a new one. I have heard the steering system needs to be upgraded on the 2009, and the seat is nicer on the new one. Don't know if it is worth the extra money though. If I were to get the 2009 model do you think $1800.00 is a good price or not.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just make sure you get one with click-down drive clamps - I suspect all PAs are made that way but the click'n'go clamps are the best.

Apparently a steering mod was made for early PAs - it would pay to research here - I believe the fix was a free upgrade.

Also try looking on the PA forum.