Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a new Hobie Outback, but am having a fit, getting the cart wheels on the kayack before pulling it out of the water. Anyone know any tricks?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rockybu:
That all really depends on where you live, we live in far south Florida, where the water is always warm, so it's not a problem for us to just jump out in waste deep water and slide the scupper kart into the scupper holes under the boat before coming in. We then roll out of the water and up to the car (very handy). Also all the beaches are beautiful sugar white sand and always very clean.
Now if your living where the water is a little colder (or muddy and rocky), and actually need to wear weather gear, it's a totally different story.
What we do then is drive the boat up to shore, I then get out, lift the front of the boat bow and pull onto shore. I then flip the boat onto it's side (at the waters edge), and place the scupper cart into the holes, then tip back down, (this is also when I pull the mirage drive) I then roll up to the car (still very handy). As a kayaker you should have everything in the kayak tied down anyway so when tipping it up on it's side nothing spills out. We learned our lesson one time running rapids on our tandem kayak, we hit a rock and went over, everything that was not tied down went shooting down stream, we never found half our stuff (ie... life jackets, water bottles, paddles, cameras, hats and shoes, basically all the stuff you wouldn't think about. My wife had the hatch open getting her camera out when we went over, the hull also filled up with water. She was trying to take a picture of her sister who went over in front of us (hitting the same damn rock), so we went over her and her boat, she lost all her stuff also. Honestly even with all that we had one of the most fun times we ever had that day, we also learned a lot about tying thing down, I'm sure all the locals enjoyed all our stuff. To be honest this was not the first time we tipped over and lost everything, and probably won't be the last.
If your worried about scratching your hull, it's soft plastic, your not going to hurt it, most people don't worry about scratching the bottom of their hull a little (think of the scratches as a badge of honor, and fun times LOL). I used to put a layer of 3M packing tape on the bottom of my hull to keep the scratches down in the high wear areas (mostly bow, stern, and the side I roll the kayak up on when putting the scupper cart in). I would replace the tape every couple trips, but I gave up after a while, now we just use the boat and don't worry about a few small scratches.
If you read through this forum, you will see many ways to fix and clean up scratches in the hull, it's pretty easy, and your not going to wear through it, they are very thick.
Hope this helps you.
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have an Outback too, and I flip it on it's side and put the wheels in, then tip it back upright. If I have a buddy around, I will get him to put the cart in the scuppers when I lift the back of the kayak up...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I keep the cart in my Durango while I'm out in my PA14. I beach the boat and fetch the cart along with a small carpet scrap. The mat keeps the hull from slipping sideways when I try to tip the PA up on its side. This is a real problem on algae-covered launch ramps. It can be nearly impossible to get the PA to roll up onto its side because it just slides sideways instead.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I too had trouble loading my kayak at the boat launches and put a few deep scratches from flipping it on the side to insert the cart into the scupper holes. In a dirt launch I do not damage the side when flipping the kayak on the side but at a concrete launch it will scratch the sides. I usually beach the kayak by pulling the rear up onto the launch. Then I go to the car to get my cart. Now when I do that I also obtain from the car a piece of carpet sample I bought for $2 at Big Lots. I lay that carpet on the dry ground next to the kayak and roll it on the side on top of the carpet. Cheap, easy, and light weight. I do make sure my items are not going to fall out when I flip the kayak on the side. You also need to watch that the kayak does not roll away into the water on a steep launch so hand onto it when you flip it back upright!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I gave up on my scupper hole cart and bit the bullet for a couple C-Tug carts.
No worries about damaging the holes and easy to mount without tilting a loaded kayak or stepping knee-deep in the cold water.

They are pricey but you can find some good deals on the web.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wndrfl wrote:

No worries about damaging the holes and easy to mount without tilting a loaded kayak or stepping knee-deep in the cold water.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wndrfl wrote:

Wheels $28 at Tractor Supply. Metal stuff $15 at Home Depot, Mailbox post $13 at Home Depot, Starboard $30 at Home Depot. Plastic Pipe stuff $20 at Home Depot. Had rubber pad. So for just north of $100 a very sturdy easy cart. The chocks are cut from the cutoff end of the mailbox post. I load the Yak by blocking the front of the wheels and pulling the Yak on top. There are aluminum rods that go through the drains behind the seat into the cart to hold it longitudinally. Unload by blocking back of wheels and pushing yak off into the water after pulling rods.

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Allelectric,

That looks like one sturdy cart. Smart move with the PVC. I imagine it helps to line up the kayak with the wheels so they line up nice and parallel?

By the way, for those interested in the C-Tug, I saw that NRS is still running the sale that I bought mine with ($118 ea.)
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=159312&utm_campaign=shop_comp&utm_source=google&utm_medium=buy_now&utm_term=goog_product_159312&gclid=CM_i8erR8LUCFQWxnQodKVAADg