Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys, new to the forum.
Recently bought an old 16 down in Melbourne, but I'll be in Sydney over the next few weekends.
Anyone know somewhere I can hire a 16 in Sydney to take my wife out until she comes to Melbourne?
Needs to be the 16, so not a getaway, wave etc, and preferably northern beaches, pittwater area. Even just an hour or so would be fine to wet the appetite before we get to sail together on the new one - so a whole weekend hire is not necessary.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello Pills,
Did you ever get an answer back about renting in Sydney?
I'll be in Oz starting 17 April 2019 thru May 7 2019 and would like to sail a 16 somewhere in Australia. I'll be in the Sydney area, but I get a 4 day weekend over Easter I think.
There is a charity regatta called the Peter Loft Marathon on May 5th which I would like to crew for or rent a boat and enter. Maybe you could drag your boat up? I would gladly pay all entry fees and rent a VRBO if you were game.

Anyone else know of a way to hire/rent/lease/borrow a Hobie 16 in the Sydney area for the 5th of May?

Thanks,

DK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have found a Hobie 16 for rent in Sydney BUT when I asked if I needed to arrange insurance I got this response:

"I don’t have boat insurance so don’t wreck anything"

You have been warned!

https://www.getmyboat.com/trips/QY67B4MK/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Feel free to PM me if someone is looking to rent in Aussie. It'll send me an email.

Despite the popularity of the H16 in Australia, I don't think Aussies check these forums much as we have our own groups and networks. It's more face-to-face here or on facebook.

I (currently) sail out of Brisbane. If you're not visiting Brisbane I could try to dig up someone in another city for you who would know where to rent or would rent you their own boat (or better yet they'd just take you for a sail).

The Aussies have powerful racing fleets all around the country. For anybody considering visiting Australia and wanting to sail an H16, the hotspots include Perth, Brisbane/Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney northern beaches, and Jervis Bay NSW (where the worlds were held in 2014).

Otherwise, catamaran sailing is very popular throughout the rest of the country (big and small cats), but it's more dispersed and you might have to settle for a Nacra or other brand.